'68 Deluxe

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad (apart from the oil issue) that the trip went well :)
Love that pedal car too 8)

I haven't done much to the van lately. I've been mostly using it.
Unfortunately I am still having some problems with the newly built 1776 engine. After a while it simply cuts out and won't start until it has cooled down. It turns rounds, but it seems that it doesn't pump fuel eventhough I've changed the pump. I've made a couple of changes, but it is still under investigation.

So in the meantime I decided to do some work on the interior. It already looked pretty good, but last year I bought and installed a Rustly Lee full widht bed and it needed a front cover so the spare parts wouldn't fly through the bus when braking.
An acquintance who builds home interiors gave me some flexible plywood that bends real easy even around tight corners so I made this:

Foto-HHXMXFCI-D.jpg

When I lift the seat I have plenty of storage for my spare parts and more. But because I am also going to Busfest in september and have to bring lots of stuff I decided to build another cabinet that slots in the corner of the bed. I yet have to make a lid for it that I want to have upholstered by Delilah's in the same style as the bed. It will then have a double function as a lid and a lounge seat/bench.

Foto-D8SEYIJY-D.jpg

Foto-I8FOHZZ6-D.jpg

I'm not a carpenter so it's not perfect, but I am pleased with the result so far. All I have to do is make up my mind on the finish. I might use vinyl and glue that on.

I've installed an electric fuelpump along with 8mm fuel hoses and a larger copper pipe that goes through the front upright tin.
Drove it to Luxemburg this weekend, which is 80 miles from here, over some pretty steep highway slopes in Belgium. The problem with cutting out seems to be solved. Drove like a dream on the way over and the way back. It's great how I can accelerate even when going up a hill and passing most other campervans and trucks as if they're standing still.

This weekend we camped in Luxemburg with the van and the Rapido. The Delilah's/Rusty Lee bed sleeps perfect. More comfortable than my bed at home... :?

Foto-IXFCW76V-D.jpg

The rear makes for a perfect childrens bed even without the R&R bed down.

Foto-V7UJVNSR-D.jpg

I'm prepping the bus for the upcoming camping season. I decided to finish the furniture that I built some time ago. It was all done except for some finishing touches, but is was all raw wood. I asked a friend whom builds office interiors how to best do this and he gave me some Formica. Great stuff, very easy to work with and awesome transformation.

I turned this:
Foto-4WGBQZXG-D.jpg

with the help of this:
Foto-4ZV7RUME-D.jpg

Into this:
Foto-X6YTVVDA-D.jpg

and did the same with my music and storage box:
Foto-EDEFMVI7-D.jpg

I'm having a lid made by Delilah's Furnishings in the same upholstery style as the bed for the box so it will double as a lounge seat.

I'm well pleased with the results so far.

Nice looking bus

What did you do with the original brown kick panel from the cab as I am looking for some and would buy them if they are for sale

cheers

Lobie

Hi Lobie,

They were in poor condition and I sent them to Newton Commercial so they could use them as a template to do mine. I didn't want them back so they probably binned them.

I haven't really been out much with the earlybay since I bought this at the beginning of the summer:

Foto-XVWTAFZR-D.jpg

It's a T5 California. We have enjoyed driving it through Europe and will be taking it to Busfest this year.

But I thought it was about time to upgrade the earlybay and drive it some more before the summer is over. I started cleaning the wheels and sprayed them black and white. The hubs where painted black as well. Crappy pictures but I'm happy with the result so far. 2 down, 2 to go;

Foto-Z3G4PG3J-D.jpg

Foto-YWPXW3JM-D.jpg

Foto-KTI6OUJP-D.jpg

Took the bus for a spin tonight and I had to take a picture with its younger sibling, the T5 California.

Foto-TEYLLWTD-D.jpg

Couple weeks ago me and the misses enjoyed some music at the Aircooled Drive In

Foto-YFSQNPEG-D.jpg

Latest posts