69 Delux Westy

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eugene

Reaction score
I got the Delux for next to nothing and it was very solid. Decided to use it for my walkthrough Westy

1969 Sunroof Delux The Westy roof here was a spare one I had.
DSCF5070.jpg

1970 Westy
DSCF5058.jpg

Started stripping, preparing for new lick of paint.

DSCF5490.jpg

DSCF5491.jpg

DSCF5503.jpg

DSCF5494.jpg

DSCF5495.jpg

DSCF5502.jpg

The car had very little rust. Apart from the usual suspects, underneath the widscreen, on the sunroof and some surface rust, the body was nice and solid.

DSCF5508.jpg

DSCF5511.jpg

Had a big dent right rear corner and one left rear underneath. These were all sorted in no time.

DSCF5510.jpg

DSCF5509.jpg

Oh, the rust on the sill in front of the rear wheel was also cut out and fresh metal welded in!

With all cancer spots removed, time for primer :hangloose:

DSCF5512.jpg

DSCF5513.jpg

DSCF5517.jpg

DSCF5515.jpg

DSCF5514.jpg

DSCF5516.jpg

DSCF5585.jpg

DSCF5586.jpg

I'll post more pics later!

Very nice 8) - what time-scale has this taken then and whereabouts are you??

Oops sorry :oops: I'm in Cape Town South Africa

This took place over a period of about two months, including the pics below. I'm now in the process of reassembling.

So while all this is happening, I had some other things to keep me busy
Stripped the step and off to the powdercoaters it goes, along with the roofrack's pipes.
image140.jpg

Started stripping the instuments, cleaning it properly before reassembly.
DSCF5614.jpg

DSCF5617.jpg

DSCF5619.jpg

DSCF5620.jpg

Tested the clock..... :( it's not working :x ...I'll get back on this one.

The damaged dash taken out to be replaced with good one
DSCF5506.jpg

I wanted a VW color but it had to be different. I then decided on Oman Beige. See for yourself.

DSCF5606.jpg

DSCF5607.jpg

DSCF5609.jpg

DSCF5610.jpg

DSCF5612.jpg

DSCF5697.jpg

image190.jpg

image191.jpg

Once the car is home, the first thing you should always do is fit the badge. It's a sign of progress
image192.jpg

Haha, badge first is always a good move, you are making rapid progress.
I went for replacing the headlights first when I got mine home from the painter. I slipped with the screwdriver and put a gigantic gouge (well it seemed so at the time) right beside the headlight bucket.
It's a few years and many roadtrips later now, but I still see that scratch every now and then.

Very short time frame so well done with what you have done so far!!!

Also likeing the colour 8)

looking forward to the next installment ;)

Looking nice.......

I have everything in place to get mine done now, but things keep getting in the way.

Must get motivated, must get motivated, MUST GET MOTIVATED!!!! :evil:

Love the colour, very nice 8)
Had mine painted recently. Wish it was painted on the inside aswell now :roll: .
Hope you get the clock working theyre a nice touch 8)

Rich

So the first thing to do would be to sort out the wiring and reassembling the dash. Started that last night but I have a small problem. Can anybody post a picture of the exact placement of the fuse box/holder for a 69:?

Please :)

I haven't got a pic, but it is right up the top left. When you get it located, you will need to check that it clears the wiper mechanism. On my first attempt the arm hit the fuse box, and I was lucky it didn't end up in flames. I had screwed it in about 15mm too far toward the centre.
Hope that helps a bit
David

On the 70 Westy, it sits top left. It is a RHD. On the 69 Delux though, it hangs somewhere on the right. It must be somewhere on the right of the steering column :?

DSCF5493.jpg

Ok..so progress was very slow. Still battling with Fuse box. I have now removed the fuse box from donor Westy and will replace the Dulux's fuse box. Wiring diagram in hand....wish me luck.

The dash shows some progress, from this
DSCF5505.jpg

to this
DSCF6120.jpg

The Delux step went from this
image137.jpg

to this. It took me 3 hours :oops:
DSCF6122.jpg

Latest posts