69` Headlights

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grazy

Reaction score
Gonna have to change lights when i get the bus , So was wondering what to go for , for best lighting . is there an upgrade or are the standard ones effective enough , i ask as i have never driven a V Dub at night so dont know . Any advice much appreciated Cheers Grazy :wink:

I think the stock bulbs are sufficient. I had a friend try the new "blues" that you see on newer Mercedes and others. They ran very hot and eventually his beautiful fluted hellas cracked from the heat!
If you have trouble seeing whilst driving with the stock headlights, just drive with the high beams on :wink: .

Another thing to bear in mind is that you may have to fit a relay because these newer bulbs draw more current - not a difficult job, just something else to bear in mind.
Also, an alternator conversion could help keep the power up (especially at lower revs).

;)

I run some newer blubs in my '72 and have been for a year now, I also use my van every day, day or night, and its been fine :D although I did get some glasses that helped me to see :D

firstly i would advise anyone NOT to run new blue bulbs as they Draw far too much current Please rememeber Your wiring is at least 30 years old and the heat they generate is immense as mentioned above .

If you wish to get great lamps motor factors sell 60/65 watt halogen bulbs in the vw application (These are safe as they dont draw much more power than stock) Then take an old bulb along with you Grazy to make sure you get the right bulb fitment .

Getting some decent lamps is easy as you need to swap your glass for RHD and ensure your refectors the silver part are in good condition and not rusty .The lamps come apart easily Get a Haynes manual ASAP and get some 2nd hand bug headlamps as there cheap and plentiful and butcher them for parts .

Now to ensure you get clean glass a dip in the washing up bowl with some 5% caustic drain cleaner avalible from Wilkos /B&Q etc will bring 30 year old glass up a treat .DONT DIP THE REFECTOR

Also when you rebuild them in the Haynes manual it gives you the headlight settings of your van against a wall in the dark and this will give you a good guide to reseting your new lamps .

Please rememeber folks if you lower your van the headlight height will need resetting again

Gadget

I got a set of halogen conversion bulbs for my 71 from just kampers £10 pair, they also sell R/H/D pattern hella lenses for about £10 each. Custom and Commercial or vw heritage do new lamp seals too.
My lights are pretty good now - i even got flashed the other night!!
They were shockingly bad

Latest posts