70 Dormobile

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rotten bus

Reaction score
Hi All,

Been viewing this forum for a while now and thought it must be time to introduce my ongoing project.
I have had Sydeney (said as spelt thanks to my three year old who named him) for about 6 months & he's a Dormobile conversion - in need of a little love :(

Anyway here is a couple pics of what it looks like now !!

IMGP0517.jpg

IMGP0518.jpg

IMGP0516.jpg

IMGP0520.jpg

IMGP0519.jpg

The plan is to replace most of the back end - the usual suspects corners, arches & battery trays. The top corners of the rear corners have gone as well.
Underneath is only minor work with a couple patches required, and fortunately the prior owner replaced the front arches and lower front panel to a really high standard 8)

Welcome - another Dormie so even more happy to see ya here 8)

Good luck with the work and keep us posted (no pun intended) as you go on ;)

Once i had gotten the bus home (back of recovery lorry - and hopefully the only time!! :) ) the first job was to drop the engine out to give me access to the battery trays and corners

IMGP0521.jpg

IMGP0523.jpg

not sure what was keeping the battery in!

Started on the passenger side and decided it was easier to replace the rear arch rather than try to repair in part, a new corner and battery tray were also in order

IMGP0856.jpg

IMGP0857.jpg

Once cut out i was quite lucky that the underneath metal was all solid and it was just a case of getting the new material to fit

IMGP0859.jpg

IMGP0860.jpg

that done and welded in a little filler to hide the weld and a coat of red oxide for protection till it goes to the paint shop

IMGP0865.jpg

IMGP0869.jpg

IMGP0868.jpg

The only other job on the quarter was to replace the slide cover channel.
As always cut one bit out and the rest comes with it

IMGP0884.jpg

IMGP0883.jpg

IMGP0885.jpg

fortunately JK do a replacement panel, which took some finding and i was worried i would have to fabricate my own

IMGP0887.jpg

all was going well to that point, managed to get a couple tacks on and the mig died - now waiting for new part till i can carry on :evil: :evil:

Managed to get the MIG fixed - so no excuses for not being out on the drive 8)

Got the section under the window welded in and the runner guide on as well

28.jpg

also made a start on the drivers side - where there is a touch more of the dreaded rot

32.jpg

35.jpg

had to make up some repair sections to replace the box section at the rear, and patch in the wheel tub. But hope to have arch, corner and battery tray in for this weekend...... hopefully :roll:

had a few more hours on the bus, have now gotten the rear corner, battery tray, arch and inner panels all welded on!! :)
the panels nearly ready for welding

46.jpg

welded on and first coat of filler in, bit crap on the photies - got my head down and before i knew it was almost finished without a single pic - will try harder in future :? :?

47.jpg

48.jpg

job i want to try and finish next is the engine bay and get all coloured so the lump can go back in and free up some room in my garage.

49.jpg

managed to do a little more today before rain stopped play.

Rubbed down the engine bay, primed, sealed and top coated all the new panels.

DSCF0799.jpg

DSCF0798.jpg

Just need to sort out the fuel sender as it sends the guage to reading over full - think that its either wired back to front or a short somewhere. Once that is done then the engine can go back in and see if i can remember where all the wires go!!

Hi All

Managed to get a little more done to the bus over the last month, the engine is now back in fully rewired and ready to go - but not quite firing yet for some reason :cry:

55.jpg

Have also finished off the arch and given a coat of red oxide

66.jpg

One of the nastier jobs was repairing the corner edge by the tailgate, luckily the PO had sourced two sections from a doner vehicle.

50.jpg

51.jpg

51a.jpg

and the finished item
52a.jpg

Also managed to finish they middle panel, this only needed some dents filling and tidying where the PO had welded on new inner and outer sills

65.jpg

Hoping to be back on 4 wheels this weekend so i can turn the bus around and start on the front !!

Hi all been a while since i have updated this thread.
Jobs now done include finished off welding underneath - with new outriggers and jacking points, then primed and shultz all
new brakes and brake pipes
new front hubs
Finished off the welding on the body and final filling done, so just waiting to get the bus to the paintshop for priming and topcoat. The end bank holiday for Plymfest is looking scary close now especially as i cant get the engine to run!!

So finished off this corner, then had a new section fabricated to replace the top as that was also completely rotten

60.jpg

So this is how the bus now looks

63-1.jpg

62-1.jpg

and started to get the interior back together

61.jpg

be glad when its at the painters!!!

Great job!

UK based Dormies always seem to go in the same places. Take a look at my thread for a similar bunch of pictures (links in the sig below).

Latest posts