• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

70 US Westy Pop Top for sale

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vil

Reaction score
It is with great regret that I have to sell my Westy :(

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3672&st=0&sk=t&sd=a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Taxed and Mot'd
Lowered on brand new Enkei 5 spokes
Brand new Status VW rubber all round (doors, pop top, windows (deluxe trim in windows)
5 seat belts fitted so ideal for family (extra point on buddy seat so you could make it 6!)
1600 tp engine
Usual rock n roll bed setup with single bunk in the roof and kiddies cot in front
Original pop top canvas with no rips or tears
Very clean original camping interior
New lino floor
Brand new wooden floors and side interior panels fitted earlier this year
Buddy seat, sink, coolbox,etc etc

I could go on and on but I am a bit numb at the moment and my mind has gone blank.. :shock: I really don't want to sell but needs must :roll: :)

This MUST go to a good home! I have a folder full of paperwork dating back to 2002 when it was first bought into the UK by Richard King himself

I will try to get some more recent pics up asap (when the bloody weather sorts itself out! :roll: )

Please PM if interested, or call 07883 475709
I am on nights for the next 2 weeks so leave a message on the moby if you can and I will get back to you

In all a good solid van as to be expected with a bit of patina in the usual places, very useable and reliable

Buy it, drive it and love it as I do! Buy it now and cruise to Vanfest!

Offers around £8700 ono

Gutted mate seen only pix of this and its real sweet , Good luck with the sale :wink:

More pics as promised 8)

13092008448.jpg

13092008449.jpg

13092008450.jpg

13092008451.jpg

Right, where do I start? :lol:

I sit here typing this while looking out at the sunshine thinking 'Why the **** am I here and not at Vanfest!?' :x

Anyway, too late for that now so here is a description of what you see :)

BODYWISE-

Solid all round van as to be expected from a US import. It has been in the UK since 2002 I believe and was bought in by Richard King and you know he don't buy any old crap! It has had a bottom half repaint in the original colour at some point in its life. It has the odd dent here and there so don't expect a minter, that isn't what this van is about! It has just the right Patina IMO. There are 4 small holes on both front doors which you can see in the picture where it has had (I believe) some truck mirrors fitted at some stage :roll: The front bumper could do with a strip and repaint as it is showing its age (brush painted at some stage.)

The sliding door has a few 'bumps' along the bottom where I think it has had a small repair carried out before it was painted (just guessing a light skim of filler to a scrape?) but I must point out this is PURELY COSMETIC. I have had the interior panel off to check the door and it is as solid as they come with no rot.

Solid as a rock underneath, I could'nt get any pics with the van being so low :wink: but any inspection is more than welcome. The only other area I think to note is the windscreen area. There are a few bubbles by the rubber in the usual places but they are purely surface and not rotten in any way. I can confirm this as I have fitted brand new rubber with deluxe trim to the front screen and it is solid under there. 8)

POPTOP-

The pop top fits nice and seals well having had new Status VW seals all round. It also has the benefit of the original canvas which is in fantastic shape with no rips or tears. It is a little dirty in places but what do you expect with it being original? :) It's nothing a good clean would'nt sort out. :)
The only downside is a small split in the back edge about 3in long. I have repaired this temporarily and can report that is does not leak whatsover. To be honest if it was'nt pointed out you would'nt even notice it! But I thought it worth a mention anyway :)

SEALS-

As mentioned before this has had a lot of money thrown at it by way of rubber seals, I paid a little visit to Barclay at Status VW at Vanfest last year and with the help of my good buddy Gadget got relieved of a few hundred notes! :lol:

It has had-
Both front door seals
Sliding door seal
Rear hatch seals
Engine lid seal
Full Pop Top Seals
Front screen seal (with deluxe trim fitted)
Rear screen seal (with deluxe trim fitted)
Both side rear seals (with deluxe trim fitted)

I also have outer scraper seals to fit to the front doors which I have not had chance to fit yet, these will be included. The only major seals I have not replaced are the louvered side windows (That job was next on my list!) But that will be up to you to do if you feel the need! :)

MECHANICAL AND ENGINE-

Good strong 1600cc TP engine. It has been so reliable that I have been inclined not to mess with it! It runs well and the only issue I have had is a dodgy starter motor which I recently replaced (the old one packed up at Bug Jam of all places! :roll: ) Nice 'Patina'd' single quiet pack exhaust! :lol: Heat exchangers are'nt the best which has never bothered me as this is my Summer bus! :)

The front beam has adjusters in, and was already marginally lowered when I bought the bus. It has since been lowered properly :wink: and wound down a bit more and the back end dropped 2 splines courtesy of my friend Gadget. It could do with new rear shocks now as the old ones bottom out with it's new stance :wink: It is another thing I have not had chance to get so that would be up to the prospective buyer to sort out. :)

All the other usual places are good and tight with no issues reported at the last mot. I have recently fitted new brake shoes at the front but I have noticed that it is pulling to the left slightly when braking. I will get this checked out before sale and rectify (I think they just need re-adjusting) :)

The whole lot rolls on a brand spanking new set of Enkei 5 spokes fresh from Karmann Konnection a few months ago. Price these up and you will see that they are not cheap! They are clean and unmarked as to be expected. 8)

INTERIOR-

The front cab area is clean and tidy as in the pictures. The front seats have been replaced at some point and the drivers seat is slightly sagged with age. There is a Kenwood Mask cd/mp3 player fitted which I may be taking out yet, I am undecided on that one! :roll: :)

The main camping area is very clean indeed. If you check my thread about this you will see the work that has gone into replacing all of the floor and side panels. The wood flooring was rotten and needed replacement so I have fitted new insulation and flooring. Luckily none of the rot had spreaded to the actual metal floor and that is good and solid. :) This was topped off with some expensive lino in keeping with the rest of the interior :)

The side panels have also been replaced with new but I left the headling in place as the original is in fine condition. :)

The Buddy seat and Stool are in excellent original condition. The Rock and Roll bed functions perfectly and is very comfortable to sleep on. There are very few (if any) marks on the original vinyl as you can see in the photos which is nice as these areas are always prone to rips and wear and tear :)

The curtains are 70's style which are half made (still the sliding door and cab area to do) but we will supply the material so this can be finished by the prospective buyer :)

As well as the R 'n R there is a single bunk in the roof area as shown in the photos. There are no tears in the canvas. There is also the childs cot bunk which can be fitted in the cab area. This functions perfectly but the original canvas material has been replaced at some point.

To the rear of the camper is the original removable mosquito net which is in excellent original condition :)

There are a total of 5 seatbelts fitted to the interior (2 front 2 on Rock and Roll and a lapbelt in between) One more can be fitted to the Buddy seat if need be as all the points and fittings are there :)

I have the original receipt for the seatbelt fitment which cost over £600 alone!

The sink and tap function correctly. A stronger pump would be a benefit though and the water would flow at a better pace. In all honesty it has never been an issue as I have never used the sink anyway! :)
The coolbox does it's job perfectly as many cold beers were consumed at Bug Jam recently with no problems! :lol:
The main wardrobe is clean inside with the rail and mirror in place.

I don't know what else to add and it has taken me bloody hours to get the photos and desciption to you :lol:
I have been as honest as possible in every area (maybe a bit too picky in places! After all this is a 38 year old van!) :lol:

You can call me on 07853 330959 (my main mobile) if you have any question you would like answering, or leave a PM :) If you call you may get answering machine next week though as I am on Nightshift! :lol:

Doh! Forgot the basics...

MOT till May 23rd 2009
Tax till May 2009

And a folder FULL of past history, receipts etc etc etc.

THIS MUST GO TO A GOOD HOME!! I have had this Bus for 12 months and I am gutted that I have not had the chance to use it to it's fullest (as are my Wife and 3 Kids) But needs must....

£8700 ono

8)

Hi Vil. Lovely westy, just what i have been looking for. She looks well cared for. Hoping to take my familly camping, just need a van!!! Do'nt suppose you'd take £7000 for her? (all i have saved) :D

I know this bus personally and Can vouce for how clean it is Underneath and on top . the front suspension is adjustable and It can all be raised back to near stock if you so wished . I have drooled over Vils bus many times as I want a pop top early Westy at sum point too. If you want a very solid bus with all the hard/nasty work done then this van is for you .

All you have to do is Drive it :wink:

Gadget

Hi Vil, has the van ever had any welding? Are battery trays ok? I am sorting some extra finance, will hopefully speak to you soon. :D Cheers Paul.

Latest posts