72 Early Bay restoration

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadkill443

Reaction score
This Thread is to follow the restoration of my 1972 early bay, i got in october (brought it 130miles back to brum) but didn't really do much with it transported it to its new location last week and have started working on it. i'm doing all the work myself with the help of some mates. We are in birmingham, anyone who wants to talk or help or advice feel free to get in touch.

3222_97490545534_508905534_2900718_.jpg

Firstly this was our mishap towing (about 6miles into the trip), closed the m6 sorry to anyone who was on it(p.s watch out for us on motorway cops lol) but righted the trailer and camper and loaded back up and continued with our journey.
DSC00120.jpg

The left side already has the majority of the work already done, so i cut off the belly pan and started cleaning up the right side ready for the new outriggers and jacking points
DSC00145.jpg

We cleared out the loading bay, ground down some surface rust and applied the first coat of paint as its being kept outdoor so needs protecting.

DSC00150.jpg

The joining beams to the front valance are a bit rotten, i have new plates cut ready to be welded on, but this has caused the cab floor to rot so we cut out the rot and started to grind back the beam to good metal, we are repairing the left half of the cab floor but the right will be a replacement panel, the damage done from the crash and the original state of the front clip means we are looking for a replacement front clip and drivers pillar (or both pillars)
Big andy grinding away
DSC00136-1.jpg

More work next weekend will keep u updated (more pics on my photobucket account Roadkill443)

Oh my god :shock: :shock:

How much damage?

Just a tip before you paint anything wire brush as much rust a poss off, and the paint with genolit it converts any rust left to iron dioxide which wont react after painting.

it was suprisingly good, its the front driver pillar that took the brunt and the rear vent, oh and the sliding door was removed by the enginer exiting the van i held the weave for ages before i finally lost it but beacuse i held it so long everyone backed off :) altho my mate matt in the back said the last thing he saw was a yaris go past as we span being chased by the camper on its side :lol:
we wire brushed everything inside and it was hammerite'd so shud all be good it not how it will be finished but protecting mainly. but cheers for interest

:( Sorry to see that picture of it overturned. For next time, it is probably best to have the bus facing backwards, especially with the engine fitted (although it sounds like it wasn't, if it exited via the sliding door!). Having it facing forwards puts all the weight at the very back of the trailer.

I'm in Birmingham too, might see it around some day 8) - Where abouts are you? Looks a cool project - I love tintops :msn4:

well i towed it 130 miles 1st time no probs this time got 6! lol looking back i don't think it was far enough forward on trailer and then a lorry passing set it going. I myself am from walsall, but the van is in northfield at my mates (longbridge sort of area)

Latest posts