72 Westy Crossover Baltimore Resto - Bodyshop resto starts

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my V5 today, a K reg... :D

I'd already started stripping it down for the bodyshop so please DVLA didn't want to inspect it. Engine and tank is out, just need to take out the dash and it goes to the bodyshop on Saturday.

Working on the twin Solex PDSIT's. I invested in am Ultrsonic cleaner which is brilliant.s Both carbs now stripped, cleaned new throttle bushes, gaskets etc. I bought a full rebuild kit for them from Germany. Very please with the results so hoping they run well. I found one of the pilot solenoids was not working so ordered one. It's missing in these pictures as still waiting for it. A top tip is always check the solenoids are working. On a 50 year old carb it's common for them to fail. My 71 single Solex solenoid failed and couldn't get it to idle.

DSCN4022 by Kevin Saunders, on Flickr

DSCN4027 by Kevin Saunders, on Flickr

DSCN4056 by Kevin Saunders, on Flickr

DSCN4051 by Kevin Saunders, on Flickr

DSCN4049 by Kevin Saunders, on Flickr

DSCN4052 by Kevin Saunders, on Flickr

DSCN4079 by Kevin Saunders, on Flickr

DSCN4080 by Kevin Saunders, on Flickr

DSCN4082 by Kevin Saunders, on Flickr

DSCN4083 by Kevin Saunders, on Flickr

Good progress on the 72 at the bodyshop. Right side about finished and the rear. I'm pushing for it to be finished by spring but there is still lots to do before it can be painted. Just about every panel has a dent need panel beating but it's so solid.

IMG_2465 by Kevin Saunders, on Flickr

Great progress with the van panels - shame everyone has a dent or ding but like you said, it's solid :)

gninnam said:
Great progress with the van panels - shame everyone has a dent or ding but like you said, it's solid :)

Thanks buddy. Yes being solid and having every panel OG is the most important thing.

Great read. I have to guess the photobucket pics though 🤬 So, page 5 is all I see. Nice to read your input into the renovation. The solidity is priceless. All looks and reads really good so far. Mine, after shot blasting, turned into a piece of lace doilie. Nice to see a crossover being the subject of TLC. Wishing you good fortune in this. Will be keeping an eye on this thread.

graysummers said:
Great read. I have to guess the photobucket pics though 🤬 So, page 5 is all I see. Nice to read your input into the renovation. The solidity is priceless. All looks and reads really good so far. Mine, after shot blasting, turned into a piece of lace doilie. Nice to see a crossover being the subject of TLC. Wishing you good fortune in this. Will be keeping an eye on this thread.

Thanks. Must redo some pictures in Flickr. So pleased with the underside.

Hi levels great project great build hats off to you dude really enjoyed reading through,
I know people have commented on the ultrasonic cleaner great bit of kit you used , bought off eBay how big is it ? What model ? How may litres off solution dose it hold ? Would be great if you could let us know as I'm keen to buy one myself, many thanks keep up the hard work .
Cheers Adi

budbay6 said:
Hi levels great project great build hats off to you dude really enjoyed reading through,
I know people have commented on the ultrasonic cleaner great bit of kit you used , bought off eBay how big is it ? What model ? How may litres off solution dose it hold ? Would be great if you could let us know as I'm keen to buy one myself, many thanks keep up the hard work .
Cheers Adi

Hi matey. Think it’s a 6L one. It’s big enough for both carbs. I could have got away with a smaller size but wanted to ensure the bath was deep enough. I think it was about £85

The ultrasonic bath was 10l digital timer and temperature. Lots of seller selling the same on eBay. Great machine and I could get both carbs in ar the same time.

Latest posts