72 Westy Crossover Baltimore Resto - Bodyshop resto starts

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a weekend. First I found the engine was seized so took it out again and soaked the bores in WD40 overnight. The tried turning it this morning and it easily turned over. So refitted the engine everything connected up then no fuel doh! Seems like the pump has failed inside so not sure what to do yet.

OK fitted a CB Performance Rotary electric fuel pump today and just got the engine started....sort of...lol

No smoke which is a good sign I guess. it'd running really rough missing and hesitating. It will not idle and pressing the pedal the engine revs die if too fast and pickup is really slow.

I checked the dizzy. Think it might be a 009 as no vacuum advance. The points are good so I re-gapped them. The cap is excellent almost looks new.

So what's next? I'm thinking I need to check the timing. I don't have a strobe so will just check using the static method for now. I reckon it's not getting fuel. The butterfly in the carbs looks dirty so I'm thinking the carbs need taking off and striping and a rebuild kit fitting. The carbs look pretty new, they are Weber 34 ICT's with no choke which doesn't help.

At least it's progress

New CB performance pump fitted and pleased with the install. It fired up but runs so bad I can hardly keep it running 1 or 2 cylinders at best. That was Saturday.

So update after today's efforts. It still running rough very rough in fact exactly the same. So what did I do

1. Set the valve gaps. All were a tiny bit tight except 1 which was a bit loose. None were miles out
2. Checked for vacuum leaks
3. New plugs correct ones this time, don't ask lol
4. New Accuspark electronic dizzy SVDA with new vacuum lines. Bought this today from Tim on who lives near me
5. Topped up the fuel tank with petrol
6. Checked the firing order against the leads yet again
7. Replaced the coil with 1 off my 71 which I know works

I did notice that the heads look new almost too clean inside

So tried turning over and exactly the same. Almost like one side of the engine is firing just about ok but the other side is fuel starved. So I've whipped both carbs off and going to strip and clean then out. I noticed that the accelerator pump was spraying fuel on the left carb but nothing from the right when opening the throttle. Both had fuel in the bowls.

So I'm hoping since I've pretty much eliminated everything else it must be the carbs.

I've got a full Solex setup so thinking about fitting that to try.

Cheers

Update, I stripped the carbs today. Think this might be the cause of the engine not running. This is the right carb. It looked much worse in the flesh. I've never seen so much crud. Pretty sure all the jets were blocked, including the accelerator jet. And the filter was cruded up too. Surprisingly the left carb wasn't too bad. It was almost like scale, big chunks.

Now then thinking about it when I did get it just about running after I turned it off the left h/w was smoking, probably straw and crap from the mice that had been living in it, but nothing from the right h/e. My theory is that the right carb was producing no fuel at all and it was therefore running on the left 2 cylinders only and at that badly.

I've cleaned them all out with carb cleaner and petrol so going to try refitting them when I get chance. I was going to fit a service kit but think I need to prove they run first. Fingers crossed.

It's running woohoo! Surprisingly well actually considering the mixture will be way out and I've guessed the timing.

I checked all the jet sizes. They are:-

F5 emulsion
140 main
50 accelerator
55 idle
Air correction 160
40 jet next to main (not sure what that is)

So I'm well chuffed. Tomorrow I'm going to play with the mixture a bit the planning on driving up and down our close. Need to order a timing light too. I've got a few more bits to sort for the MOT. All minor such as washers, wipers, seat belts etc. Then it's in for MOT then I can get it registered.

Considering the state it was in when I got it, this is a major milestone for me.

I can now relax a bit and take some time off for Xmas. I've been working pretty much every weekend since October.....phew

Had the first run under it's own power and all seems great. I spent some time playing with the engine and now have it running better but still need to set the timing and play with the mixture. Very satifyling to be driving after all the hard work. So Xmas off then back onto it in the new year to sort a few minor things, such as seat belts, wipers then it's MOT time. :D

^^^^That protective outer coating looks good. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Well done on the engine , your engine bay is toooooooooo clean , nice job,
enjoy the festive period. Well deserved.

J & P
:D :D :D

gas1man said:
^^^^That protective outer coating looks good. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Well done on the engine , your engine bay is toooooooooo clean , nice job,
enjoy the festive period. Well deserved.

J & P
:D :D :D

Thanks Buddy. The black us rust treater. I never expected if to turn so black but it has got a lot of surface rust :lol:

Spent the last 2 weekends getting it ready for the MOT. Everything is now pretty much working as it should. Fuel gauge went a bit nuts but don't need that for MOT. The engine is still a bit rought but should be OK for the MOT hopefully. I think the carbs need balancing. I've set the timing.

So just need to arrange a flat bed to take it to a local MOT station then fingers crossed. 8)

Kev946 said:
So just need to arrange a flat bed to take it to a local MOT station then fingers crossed. 8)

I think if the mot is pre booked and you are insured you are allowed to drive it to the mot station for the test 8) saves having to sort a flat bed 8)

68_early_bay said:
Kev946 said:

I think if the mot is pre booked and you are insured you are allowed to drive it to the mot station for the test 8) saves having to sort a flat bed 8)

It's not registered in the UK yet so can't insure it for the road.

MOT Booked for 16th Feb at local test garage. They are going to collect too. The were struggling to get me in earlier as the were short staffed due to jury service would you believe. Having discussed the van with the owner I decided it was worth the wait.

Next update in 3 weeks hopefully with good news.

It passed it's MOT.....wooohooo! I'm so please, this is by far the most satisfying MOT I've ever had done....lol To think 1 year ago it was a barn find wreck and now it's road legal. Next step is to send off all the forms to the DVLA and get it registered in the UK. The MOT guy has a few old Lotus's himself and said the restoration work I've done so far is a credit to me, and better than many professional restorations he's seen, which was nice to hear. The MOT wasn't all plain sailing, it failed on a few minor bits this morning, handbrake adjustment, a loose bolt on the seat belts etc. but the most worrying thing was it stopped on him 3 times driving it back and he ended up limping back spluttering. He said electrical but I suspected fuel, so I had a quick look at the fuel filter under the tank and it was clogged with rust dust. The driving had dislodged a load of crap in the tank. So a quick filter swap and it was all up and running again, so I took it straight back for a re-test and it PASSED....wooooohoooo...again! Did I mentioned I was pleased...lol

Great result for you :D
Very pleased for the hard work you have put in :mrgreen:

Latest posts