911 Guru's - Advice please. (996)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heebee_GB

Reaction score
Im sure this has been raised as a topic before but I can't find it using the search button.

What can anyone tell me about the 996. My dad is looking at buying an early 996 carrera 4 auto which is mint, low owners and low miles, but I remember reading that the early 996 had a lot of faults that could end up proving terminal or expensive.

Anyone owned one and can give any advice?

Thanks.

Gary

Porsche was going through tough times when they built the 996, consequently lots of inferior parts were used to keep the costs down. Engines had problems early on in mileage terms, I think a mid mileage car with lots of service should have had the faults ironed out by now and the engine shouldn't be one of the lemons after all this time. They are good value just now that's for sure, I would have had one but can't work out how to put 3 seats in the back :evil:

have a look on Pistonheads - there's a thread on there called something like bargain pork, goes on for ages and it covers all models, but I'm sure it talks about the 996. If not, there are other theads in the Porsche section from owners, what to look for, what it should have had done etc

The general view seems to be avoid the tiptronic, recognise that things can go wrong, make sure as much of the known stuff has been replaced / modified, go in with your eyes open. Lot of car for the money, seem to be plenty of happy owners

The rear main seal is prone to failure, and is an expensive labour job if needing done, and you might as well change the clutch at the same time.. also intermediate shaft bearing can go and that'll make your pistons meet the valves (6k+ to fix )
Can be pretty expensive on tyres and servicing, i know because my cousin used his daily for 7 years, but spent so much money on it, that was a manual carrera 2

I probably wouldn't touch an auto

Analog said:
The rear main seal is prone to failure, and is an expensive labour job if needing done, and you might as well change the clutch at the same time.. also intermediate shaft bearing can go and that'll make your pistons meet the valves (6k+ to fix )
Can be pretty expensive on tyres and servicing, i know because my cousin used his daily for 7 years, but spent so much money on it, that was a manual carrera 2

I probably wouldn't touch an auto

Cheers.
Why no auto? Are they weak or is it just you prefer manual?

Latest posts