944 rear brakes

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mychatype3

Reaction score
Hello,

Is there anyone with 944 rear brakes on his earlybay?
I was looking at thesamba and oldspeed is selling sets but i've a guy wich is handy with the millingmachine, but if there is someone here with experiance, or foto's :D

Greets mycha

Try contacting Rad Dubs and Englishmen on volkszone as he was doing adaptors/kits some time back for this

mrsmythe said:
Try contacting Rad Dubs and Englishmen on volkszone as he was doing adaptors/kits some time back for this

I think you'll find that rad-dubs did a kit for fitting this to T1 and T3 -Bau (T2) is different. I have sold a late bay rear and 944 rear to a chap who wants to make a special. If you want to run Porka wheels (130 PCD) then get a Creative Engineering rotor / drum combo using late bay gubbins or one of their disc kits.

Otherwise you would always just weld in a 944 rear end, it has been done before

Love to see photos of the swap to 944 brakes and what needs to be done from start to finish?

Any machining, or extra little parts adjustments etc?

Brian Watts said:
Love to see photos of the swap to 944 brakes and what needs to be done from start to finish?

Any machining, or extra little parts adjustments etc?

go to VKD forum and the pics / write up are there to see

mattp said:
mrsmythe said:

I think you'll find that rad-dubs did a kit for fitting this to T1 and T3 -Bau (T2) is different. I have sold a late bay rear and 944 rear to a chap who wants to make a special. If you want to run Porka wheels (130 PCD) then get a Creative Engineering rotor / drum combo using late bay gubbins or one of their disc kits.

Otherwise you would always just weld in a 944 rear end, it has been done before

Thanks but I don't want to weld in 944 arms, to wide!!
I've to late bay hubs converted to 5x130 en milded them down to take a disk of the 944 ;)
Next fase is to make a backplate (like original) for the handbreake.

Greetings mycha

Ps. my bay is on it's way from Amerika, when it's in i'm starting the conversion en will post photo's
8)

jp said:
Why do you say too wide ?

I have put the 944 stuff on the back of my EB and track is much the same.

CLICK here for write up on how to do it

I sayed it wrong, not to wide, but i don't want to mesh with new arms etc.
I'm gong for a oldspeed set :!:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=569898" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Your conversion looks very nice ;)

Greetings mycha

Brian Watts said:
Love to see photos of the swap process!!

Hoping to do it soon and photos would help a ton

Hello Brian,

All the parts are collected :D
The backing plates for the rear handbrakes are in from the States and are at the moment with my "cnc" guy (so he can make same copies 8) ).Next month my bay will be transferred on 944 brakes all around.
Off course i will post with photos ;)

Greetings mycha

Hello

Here are the special Porsche 944 rear backing plates to Bay. They can hold the original hand-break mechanism.
Soon update of the install.
S6300117.jpg

S6300119.jpg

I turned down the hubs of a T2b to accept the Porsche 944 disks and convert them to 5x130.
S6300124.jpg

We also turned down the hub 11mm and also the stub-axle so the center-cap of the porsche wheels will fit.
S6300089.jpg

Greetings mycha

Is the master cylinder from the 944 needed for this conversion?

I see it in your photo of parts so just wondering

Will the rear trailing arm off the 944 just bolt straight into a 68 bus?

I was told it is a direct bolt in conversion so I am hoping it might be that easy?

Help?

Brian Watts said:
Is the master cylinder from the 944 needed for this conversion?

I see it in your photo of parts so just wondering

Will the rear trailing arm off the 944 just bolt straight into a 68 bus?

I was told it is a direct bolt in conversion so I am hoping it might be that easy?

Help?

Hello Brian,

Yes that's a 944 master cylinder witch i'm going to use.
I'm going to bold a complete porsche 944 brake system on my bus, so thinking a 944 master cylinder is the way to go.
Only difference is the 944 has the engine (weight) in front and the bus in rear.........so i'm going to use a wilwood brake reducer in the front brakes. I'm using a servo from a volkswagen golf II (because the are cheap :D ).

On the front you have the use 5mm spacer between the bearings and the hubs.
http://www.vdubengineering.com/products/brakes/944Tbus.htm

On the rear you need special brackets for mounting the brakes to the bay window trailing arm.
http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&p=190692#p190692
P1010088.jpg

P1010090.jpg

P1010098.jpg

P1010096.jpg

For mounting the complete 944 arm you have to convert several parts:
http://www.vwkd.co.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?t=2235

944 is not a bold on.......but it can be done :msn4:

Greetings Mycha

Latest posts