A 72 westy rebuild - The early days

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is really sweet, good work 8)

Where is the runner for the hob from?

Saw something similar at at show, but yours is much better.

Seriously great work - but could do with bigger pictures please :mrgreen:

chenzo said:
That is really sweet, good work 8)

Where is the runner for the hob from?

Saw something similar at at show, but yours is much better.

It's the longest runner you can get from the usual trade kitchen suppliers - you can get longer/stainless steel versions but at a much greater cost from commercial catering

suppliers
gninnam said:
Seriously great work - but could do with bigger pictures please :mrgreen:

You can have bigger pictures when the rest of the interior is finished in the next two weeks 8)
Well you can now that I've found where Flickr have hidden their copy and paste code for forums :lol:

cotswoldiver said:
[You can have bigger pictures when the rest of the interior is finished in the next two weeks 8)
Well you can now that I've found where Flickr have hidden their copy and paste code for forums :lol:

Get on with it then...... ;)

OK, bigger pictures, with only a little teasing - the full pull out/pop up pictures of the bulkhead unit to follow

5742859553_b36855cd96.jpg

This gives you a really good idea of the standard of Adrian (All Things Timber) craftmanship - and care

5743411000_59e45771e9.jpg

The interior fabric and panel work has been done by Bromsgrove Interiors - and again, I think works really well with the oak from ATT

Its back at Rocket Ron's now, so all go to get it finished and on the road for EBGI4 - but hopefully with a little bit of time to spare to drive a few miles in the UK first - need to know how heavy it is and if the 1641 will cope!

Smiling a bit more now

Cali_bay said:
Wow David, Looking great, 8)

What left to do?

Really pleased with how its turning out Simon - but I think a trip to the Public Weigh bridge will be a must just to see how heavier it is against a standard westy :shock: .

Left to do? Really just a long (make that longer) list of odds and sods - some big jobs, mostly little ones.

Gear box is in, engine should be in this week, nos steering box is in, but a shame the old one had to be cut out as hoped it would have been useful for someone. Part 3 of the internal electrics wiring should be completed this week, although annoyingly the practically brand new leisure battery that was in the last westy is too long to fit in this one so need to source another one.

The list goes on, with the wheels due back from the powder coaters this week, Now that Faux's little one has arrived, hopefully Mrs Faux will allow him a couple of hours off for good behaviour to cross the bridge and fit the the pop top canvas,
come the end we have virtually built a new bus from parts, so the list grows a bit each week as something we thought was there isn't, or isn't good enough to use. Then it will be MOT time .....

So nine months after we first started this project the wheels finally turned a week gone Saturday :)

Nice feeling driving a bay again and wasn't too long before the first wave came my way from a beetle driver

Monday it was booked in with Jason at Interpro to do the final tweaking and run it on the rolling road. Plan was that this shouldn't take too long as Jason had set most of it up on the bench when he did the checking and rebuilding back in December/January. As it turned out not a moment too soon because as I pulled off the M5 to take the Thornbury turning there was absolutely next to zero life in the accelerator. Managed to limp round the roundabout, quick play with the linkage and some life was restored - enough to limp the last couple of miles to the workshop thank goodness.

Ended up playing more with the accelerator and cable more than anything else, that and a loose plug cable finally saw it sorted which was just as well because at one stage the figures were not even making 50 bhp which with what was thought to be a 1641, twin italian weber 34's and a vintage speed exhaust was disapointing to put it mildly. Anyway 5 hours later, tinkering sorted and we finally hit just over the 60 bhp mark so should be fine for EBi4. Going to run it like this for a while and depending on how it goes may save up for new heads, new cam etc and get closer to the torquey 1766

5857941410_774e99e645.jpg

Pulley's changed - CB version on the alternator and balanced gene berg on the crank - Florida trip paid off

hats off once again to Jason, he does continue to take care of us

Great news Dave! Looks sweet, booked my session on the rollers today for 20th of July

Was it's No. 1 plug that was loose by any chance?

Just

And now we are finally on the road ... had a bit of a trial run out last night. Not too far away, just a green camping site that I'd spotted in the Cool Camping book called Thistledown tucked away in a lovely area near Nympsfield in Gloucestershire.

Wonderful place for those wanting a really peaceful break, tents really well catered for with two massive fields of their own with no cars allowed. You park up and walk or take a wheel barrel piled with your bags sort of festival style. No breeze block shower or loo areas, just 'natural' wooden buildings with compost loos and washing facilities.

The campervan have an area of their own in an Elderflower plantation, even less facilities, just water and a few porto loos, but beautifully peaceful. Log fires actively encouraged which makes a nice change, they even come round and deliver the logs for you

there was a wedding going on in another area with music and tents of their own ..... struck me as a great place for a very laid back earlybay forum owners gathering if we could get the buses close enough ... sure we could hire the site, have a marquee for some music etc

Anyway as the picture shows, no hooks up you do have your own wind turbine :lol:

5873570265_f6a25062c2.jpg

Few little teething problems to solve, but I think it will make it in a nice gentle way to EBi4 next weekend

Well the last few weekends have been spent testing and using the bus and it is almost finished ... few tweaks still needed like the single gas supply to the propex heater and other appliances but Dan and the boys are off tomorrow for their annual Dad's & Sons camp with Nathan and his SA splitty so its getting used anyway.

The bulkhead unit is working really well, must admit its the first time I've actually used a sink in a bus as a sink instead of extra storage :lol:

So first shot is the final now you can't see it ...

5994562894_804293cb16.jpg

Then followed by the rainy day/if I have too TV & DVD operating on the manual lifter

5994564342_2a2797d72d.jpg

And then two shots of the hob working as a slide out unit under the canopy, with the newly finished drop in unit which keeps it even more secure and works as a safe place to rest hot pans - it also doubles up as a tray when taken out and turned over

5993999575_6d3a00e24c.jpg

This final shot shows where we have infilled the gap between the sliding and the unit just like westfalia did originally and I must admit it finishes off that part of the bus really well. The rear hinge covering unit is now back in place with the LED down lights, all that is left is for me to make up the kick boards that house the front speakers and fit the redesigned under dash shelf which now allows the handbrake to function fully

5994001021_39c62bfe47.jpg

It's given us a bus that is really usable which was the plan all along .... and hopefully something that is using the available space a little differently - the unit between the front seats with the map and magazine rack is an absolute god send for useful storage and hiding stuff

So glad summer is here, and for a bus originally built in 1972 it sure drives really well

ooro said:
awesome david awesome......looks like it weighs a ton

Curiosity will get the better of me and when I've fitted the under dash shelf which is the last bit of wood I will take it to a weigh bridge. Not sure it will be that much difference to a full westy - and if it is I'll take Faux's roof top bed out and only put it back in when I know we will be using it!

But going down to Dorset on Saturday on the 'back roads' and then coming back up to Cheltenham via the M5 this morning it was a dream to drive, cruised well and still had plenty of poke to get up them pesky hills and pass the masses of caravans. If it carries on like this not even sure I will upgrade to a 1776 which was part of the long term thinking

Made up for you :D

Sounds like it is exactly what you were after.

Latest posts