A 72 westy rebuild - The early days

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
David,

That looks sweet. 8) It's going to be one nice bus. Can't wait for the interior pictures.

Keeps the pictures coming.

Engine looks great, shame its going in a late :lol: :lol: :lol: (you know I'm joking David), hope to see you at our open day in it,

Cali_bay said:
David,

That looks sweet. 8) It's going to be one nice bus. Can't wait for the interior pictures.

Keeps the pictures coming.

Another workshop, another step forward
Called in to see the interior progress today ... getting there

Full width westy bed
5554406618_fe7de7c9a3.jpg

Unit to fit across the bulkhead, which is housing an oven/grill combo, hob that will be able to be used inside the bus during bad weather but mainly to be used outside as it will slide out, sink, and something hidden away that will keep the kids happy on a rainy day - more to follow ;)
5554405704_ebc968257c.jpg

And this is the early stages of a speaker box that will match the internal furniture, but will be able to be used in the awning - scale looks a bit off because of the angle of the photo shot. Carrying handle is one of Mark's from MCJ, and matches the pull handles being fitted to the cab doors
5553823463_c7c00af1ec.jpg

It's been great fun designing these to fit the space, rubber floor doesn't look too bad and the far side panel has been fitted so that the furniture can be installed, rest of the soft furnishing to follow later

This part of the work is being carried out by Adrian at All Things Timber, another great guy to work with. Hoping for completion in time for Graham's Open Day and camping trip to Stanford Hall - but may not finish in time :( But at least it will be ready for summer :D

Nice work, I saw ur engine in Interpro, wouldnt believe it was the same one that came in, Jase did a good job fella, lookin good.

Just

Nice work on the wood - what wood is it as it looks a nice colour :mrgreen:

gninnam said:
Nice work on the wood - what wood is it as it looks a nice colour :mrgreen:

It's oak, and will be finished 'light' not dark. There's a unit being built to go between the front seats, a unit with two led lights hat will be at the back hatch to cover the hinges, and a front parcel shelf that will also house the stereo speakers. No wardrobes or side cupboards, and the table will store away under the rock & roll bed

The roof panel will still be westy style, but stained to match the units and also housing more led lights - the plan is coming together.

Weight wise, it shouldn't be much more than the full westy kit that would have been there in the first place - but it may give me the excuse to change the engine to 1776 sooner rather than later :lol:

Think I may actually tale this to a weigh bridge station once its all in ... could be interesting

Interior looking great dood! 8) Glad your happy with Jase he is a top bloke and his engines and VW work is fantastic, you wont be disapointed :mrgreen:

Inspirational David .. I had overlooked sound proofing as I thought 4" of foam and all the junk under the rear seat would do the trick!
Might chuck some of that insulation in also whilst I Vinyl the panels, can't do any harm.

Woodwork looks perfect, I can appreciated the workmanship as I'm having interior installed at the moment .. It's by Harry at All Things MDF :oops:

Main bespoke interior cabinets almost finished. A few sneak preview shots of whats to come. Really pleased with the under dash shelf - the curve is made from one piece of wood! Kick panels hide the speakers nicely

5632830860_10a8677e2f_m.jpg

5632248395_48f14c9f45_m.jpg

The main unit is across the bulkhead, these snaps shots don't do the unit justice, it's been designed to hide things away - and cook outside the bus. Small oven in the middle

5632249425_78850c3120_m.jpg

Well pleased how this then slides out
5632250561_d35226519a_m.jpg

This is the right handside of the unit with everything shut away
5632252393_a609e4afca_m.jpg

And opening up to reveal
5632834726_11d84e3412_m.jpg

and at the back of that
5632836704_fa60bbc4b8_m.jpg

Few other nice pieces tucked away, including a lovely unit between the front seats.

I know its not to everyone's taste, but really pleased how my thoughts and design concepts have now started to jump off the scrap bits of paper into reality to produce a practical but rather unique bus. The real master is Adrian at All Things Timber who has hand built each piece just to fit exactly

Hopefully will be finished in the next couple of days and then down to Bromsgrove for 'soft parts' ie the panels and rock and roll bed etc

Great interior and well thought out. Been thinking about building something similar with as much hidden features as possible.
Please post more pics instead of these teasers. Anxious to see how the complete unit looks in the bus.

Seriously amazing work dood 8) i thought that i was handy with a saw! but you dood rule :mrgreen:

Brilliant work mate. I love seeing these well thought out bespoke interiors. It gets you thinking - after 50 years there is still room to perfect the wheel to suit your needs if not re invent it.

easy said:
Seriously amazing work dood 8) i thought that i was handy with a saw! but you dood rule :mrgreen:

Thanks Easy - Can't take any of the credit for the 'saw work' - that's all down to Adrian - I just came up with the ideas of what I wanted to create and between us I think we have really come up trumps both from a practical point of view and how good it actually looks. Well pleased and I know Adrian has enjoyed working on something a little out of the ordinary :D

Latest posts