A few pointers needed when viewing a bug please.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poptop2

Reaction score
Hi all I have been viewing beetles recently and am sure I miss the less than obvious bits. I always look at heater channels, A posts, hinges, floor pans, gutters, straightness etc but those are the only real weak spots I know of.

Does anyone have any good tips for me when viewing pre 74 bugs, no earlier than 66.

Cheers in advance. Malc

When I started viewing Buses - not beetles admittedly I went onto Vzi and asked for some local assistance.
A fella near to me volunteered for some beer tokens to come with me - he knew his onions.
Saved me shelling out 12k on a basket case!

That's the best advice I can offer - take someone who knows the model well and pay them for an inspection.
Best money I have ever spent as on the outside it looked like a tidy bus - underneath was a plated/corroded mess.

As with anything else mate, avoid a fresh paintjob, avoid shiny crap on the engine or any other signs of being messed about with. Check under the rear seat for not only rot but also a fair indication of the quality of the heater channels (either if they're genuine VW, klokkencrap or decent repro) and whether the bakelite tubes connecting the heater channels to the heater tubes coming from the engine are there (they're actually a pain in the ass to replace, have to raise the body off).
Water in the cab is a shitter as you'd expect, front wheel well can be suspect... TBH they're not as bad as buses for rot IMO.
Chassis number is under the back seat too as a legal check.

Anything else, really, is maintenance anyway...

All the bits already mentioned, also under the rear seat where the battery is, spare wheel well, front inner wings where the bumper irons are, rear inner wings where the rear bumper irons are. Bugs are easier than buses, and therefore not as expensive. Take a magnet and check that its metal and not filler around the front and rear quater panels, door bottoms, etc, check panel fit and door gaps. Personally i would swerve anything sprayed within the last 12 months as anything bodged wont necessarily be bubbling yet. Good luck.

Latest posts