A question about colouring on EB nose badges

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gambacorners

Reaction score
In all the period brochures and colour adverts featuring EBs, where the nose badge is white the little strip in dead centre of the badge - at the bottom of the V - is invariably coloured to match the body.
I'm not sure I've ever seen this in the 'real world' ... but maybe I've not seen a totally unmolested original badge. Was that little strip of colouring just a bit of early photoshopping for promotional purposes or did EBs leave the factory with a little bit of body colour in the middle of the nose badge?
Any ideas? Cheers.

Thanks sparky, I'm thinking specifically about the little strip between the bottom of the V and the middle of the W. Promo/brochure shots show that bit coloured in to match body colour but I'm thinking that was just for advertising purposes.

All the ones I've seen are not as you describe (in other words the bit between the V and the W is either white or chrome).
I've not got any period brochures to hand just now, to check with, but perhaps the ones you saw were pre-production pressings, differing slightly from production ones, in that there was a 'gap' between the V and the W, and thus the body colour was showing through?
Either that, or there was a run of slightly different pressings at some stage?

Interestingly the Kombi which my folks bought new, had the chrome version. I know my dad wouldn't have specified that, so maybe they had run out of the white ones, when our bus was on the production line! :D
The badge got nicked c1986/7, when the Beastie Boys or some similar pop group were all the rage, and featured VW badges in their videos or whatever. :lol:

I see what you mean about the brochure pictures - never noticed before :lol:

It was brochure trickery - early manual form of photoshop - you can see it on some of the brochures where they did not get it quite right.

I'm sure that's right ... odd that they even bothered, just to make the vdub logo look 'right' in the photos. Hardly mattered surely.

Latest posts