A Wanderer Returns and Garage Recommendation

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cod_Almighty

Reaction score
So after falling out of love with my camper and it being off the road and I've been absent from this website for nearly 7 years, I've decided to give it another go. The reason my camper and I fell out, is due to my lack of mechanical knowledge. The issue that really got me down was once my camper was warmed up and running at normal temperature, it cut out whilst idling, so every time I would take my foot off the accelerator it would stall every single time. 3-4 different garages have had a look and never get to the bottom of the problem and I'm back to square one. The only suggestion I got was to set the idling rev higher, but this sounded terrible and it felt like I was going to damage the engine. I registered it as SORN and it has been unloved since and luckily the body is still in immaculate condition.

So, can anyone recommend a garage in the Salisbury area that can strip my engine down and restore it to its former glory? It has been sat and not started for about 18 months now, so the garage would ideally have to come and collect it or just evaluate it on my drive and give an approximate quote.

Here's a link to some photos, from my last trip away in the camper in 2011 http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?p=292632#p292632

Cod

This sounds like you've returned to your senses! Well done!

Sounds like u need the carb cleaning, the idle circuit comes into play when the choke circuit is warmed. There's a few passageways and jets that might benefit from a clean.

No idea about garages though, as I live in York -however I'm glad that you're feeling better and back in love

Mine did exactly the same as yours. Cleaned the carbs out (well someone who knew what they were doing did) and it's run flawlessly ever since.

It's probably not a big issue really, which makes it a bit upsetting that it's been off the road for so long.

Welcome back, and so glad you just didn’t sell your bus. It does sound like you’ve had a bit of bad luck in not being able to find a garage that really knows these old beasties. With most modern vehicles there are no carbs and a lot of garages think they know their onions but are less familiar with carbs and the little nuances that come with them. It doesn’t sound like you need your engine stripping down at all, more like ^^^ as suggested above, a real good look and fettle with everything that comes with an older style motor. New plugs points leads condenser and cap, set your valves , check the timing and clean out the fuel supply and that little carbytooter , plus some air filter stuff. At the same time I’d also have an oil change and maybe give the battery a check if it’s been out of grace for so long. If you can get to Bristol I’d heartily recommend Nick at CJ motors. I got a funny feeling that over on the late bay forum, one of their guys might be mobile as a mek nik.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, and welcome back again! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Latest posts