Advice on front drum removal

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

preston

Reaction score
Hi guys my front wheel bearing is shot, I have backed off the adjusters and hammered the shit out of the drum but it's not budging. I don't have access to a puller and don't want to spend loads on buying one. Is there a diy trick I can do to get it off? Unless anyone lives in Cambridge that I can borrow? Thanks Lee

Hi Lee, you may have to back both adjusters right back until they won`t go no more. That can be a lot of adjusting by the way. I think from memory you can just about see the thread on the adjusters with a nice light through the adjusting hole. You may have to work the adjusters back and forth a few times to make sure the threads are clear enough to get them backed off completely, I don`t think a puller would work until the shoes are backed off completely and then you won`t need a puller. What can sometimes make it worse is the fact that a lot of these drums are very old and sometimes if not mostly they`ll have a lip worn into the drum surface which makes it even more important to back them adjusters off all the way.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Good luck with the patience and mind your knuckles :mrgreen:

Are there any adjuster holes on the rear of your backing plate that you can poke something through and give it a tap with a mallet?

I backed off both adjusters but the bearing was so shot I think this is what is stopping the drum coming off. I am hopefully getting my hands on a hub puller this week so will try that

Latest posts