advice

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

worthog

Reaction score
Help......
I`m looking for advice and some inspiration..

I have owned early bay for over 12months, within that time I completely removed everything off the van in readiness to have it dipped which i got done. While the van was away been dipped, i found a vw garage that was recommended to me in the Doncaster area, which i contacted and arranged for the garage to etch primer the bare metaled van.
I made arrangements for the van to be collected and delivered to the garage to get its new coat of primer, i went along to the garage and seeing workman ship i asked if he would undertake the welding/ replacement panel repairs which he agreed to and gave me a date he wanted to start, which was December 2012, since that date i have contacted the garage on a monthly bases to see if he is ready to start work and to date nothing has been done, i keep being told next month, your will be next, so on so on!!!!!!!

As you can imagine my patients have worn out as it feels like i am being fobbed off!!!!
Should i teach my self to weld, or should i find another garage to do the welding / repairs for me???

Thanks
Worthog

Please tell me that they've at least put some paint on to protect the metal :?: :shock:

I'm afraid it sounds like you're being strung along dude, whilst they've got your van they think they've got the upper hand but it looks like its now time to roll up with a trailer and either demand that they start, or its going away,
8 months without striking a blow they're just holding on to it for work when they're slack :(

If it were me and many people I'm sure will do different I would get another garage to complete your welding.
I would the get it painted and spend time restoring all the parts and slowly build the van back up making sure you do it my all 100% correct with maximum detail and any improvements required and done properly.
This is just the way I am, I can't weld panels only make a few brackets and such but having spent years building single seater racing cars I take great enjoyment in detailed work.

To add I would have thought anyone who will provide you with good workmanship would take pride in many aspects of there business, sounds like this chap just doesn't care about your needs and wants, why would this change when he is fixing it ?
I personally wouldn't trust them.

do it yourself dude ,mines just a bare shell at the mo ,its taken a month to bare metal the bottom and do a little patch work but i have been over every inch of it and i know its not been boged ect ,i trusted a van to others once ,never again ,welding is not that hard to learn ,i may not be a pro welder but never had a weld fail .

worthog said:
Hi Dude,

Yes the van has had a coat of primer.. :D

Worthog
if you take it home and its going to stand outside get some epoxy primer on it that will help as its waterproof :)

if you are being messed around before they have started then I would think it will carry on when the work has began. it will be easier to take the bus back now before work has started.

I have a freind that owns a garage in Stockport
I have known him for 20+ years
He has worked on all my vehicle!
I have recommend him to lots of people
Whom have done so!

He has currently four customers that
Own Vw bay's

There is secure storage were he is.

If you want a proper job doing this is
Your man

Ps you can see what work he has done on my thread

Latest posts