ADVISE PLEASE: Any PARENTS WITH A BAY!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
loxy said:
Consider that you could do the same trip in a modern car & breakdown, its more likely that you can fix a van at the side of the road than a modern car*.

*I completely made that up, but it sounds plausible :lol:

quite true! i carry a set of points, spark plugs, a fan belt and a rotor arm just incase anything happens. 9/10 a modern car that breaks down will need further investigation at a garage. chances are if you do break down itll be a service part like points, plugs or a fan belt. if you learn to do your own servicing then if the worst happens you can fix your car at the side of the road. if anything other than a service parts fairs then its normally a problem that you have known about for ages but not been bothered to fix (normally what happens with me anyway :lol:)these are normally intermitant faults that annoy you then go away. they are great cars and great fun, stay on top of any problems you have and all will be well. Join a vw club even if you only bob along to the odd meet you will meet and befriend people ho know what they are doing and who will be more than happy to help. also get yourself a copy of how this:

http://astore.amazon.co.uk/wwwoneweeklat-21/images/1566913101" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

its a cracking book with loads of info for people with little or no knowledge/tools.

i started out at 15 and didnt know how an engine worked. now i wont let anybody else work on my vw's. and with two kids in tow, what would you rather break down in a 5 seater estate or a vw bus with a cooker/kettle :mrgreen:

Ps. as for the holiday, do your service a couple of days before you got, then you have 3000 miles before you have to drop oil and you can take spares for any servicing you need to do while you away.

Hiya wind,

I've been going down through the responses to your question. Some are more optimistic than others and most advise that you do some homework and educate yourself about Busses. Good advice.

But please allow me to be brutally honest. If you go out and look for a low price on a Bus you CAN find one with good potential for restoration. You CAN'T find one in the shape you desire. In other words, expect to pay (and most likely pay a lot) for a road-ready daily driver with the amenities you have described.

As much as I love my Bus, I would never recommend that a person with little mechanical experience buy a 40 year old vehicle as his/her only means of transportation and then take his/her toddlers on a long road trip in that same vehicle. Just doesn't make any sense. Unless that 40 year vehicle is mechanically sound - and that's not likely with a lower priced Bus.

Hiya Mike,
I value your honesty. I take it from your response that you don't think 10k will get me the kind of bus I'm after. I have my reservations but the trouble is, a Bay is my dream. I do have another car but my wife will be using that during the week. It would be a daily drive to get me to work (i.e. 20 miles, 5 days a week) and would then be used for shows and holidays (as I mentioned in the original thread).

I have lots of thinking to do, just don't get excited by T4's in the same way. Most ones that have been personalised in any way look like boy-racers and that's just not me. :oops:

Cheers
Simon :D

windsurfer said:
Hiya Mike,
I value your honesty. I take it from your response that you don't think 10k will get me the kind of bus I'm after. I have my reservations but the trouble is, a Bay is my dream. I do have another car but my wife will be using that during the week. It would be a daily drive to get me to work (i.e. 20 miles, 5 days a week) and would then be used for shows and holidays (as I mentioned in the original thread).

I have lots of thinking to do, just don't get excited by T4's in the same way. Most ones that have been personalised in any way look like boy-racers and that's just not me. :oops:

Cheers
Simon :D

i use my bay on weekends, my lad who is 17 months old loves it, they are very practical with buggies, luggage etc etc

Id totally agree with all others have said, id pay for a good one, it will save u money in the long run. I dont know if grahamL westy is still for sale, but that is one sold bus

slammedresto said:
I dont know if grahamL westy is still for sale, but that is one sold bus

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10296&st=0&sk=t&sd=a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks to be, I reckon this could tick every box.

Bookwus said:
If you go out and look for a low price on a Bus you CAN find one with good potential for restoration.You CAN'T find one in the shape you desire. In other words, expect to pay (and most likely pay a lot) for a road-ready daily driver with the amenities you have described.

:?
8-10k should be plenty of money to buy a decent van, especially in the current financial climate or have I missed something?

Cart all 3 of my kids in mine!
Fitted the belts myself, hardest part was bringing myself to cut the original interior!

2008_0715interior0086.jpg

10k would get you a good van a very good van if you can take someone along who knows what they are looking for. good luck dude. :mrgreen:

Hiya Loxy,

Loxy said:
Bookwus said:
If you go out and look for a low price on a Bus you CAN find one with good potential for restoration.You CAN'T find one in the shape you desire. In other words, expect to pay (and most likely pay a lot) for a road-ready daily driver with the amenities you have described.

:?
8-10k should be plenty of money to buy a decent van, especially in the current financial climate or have I missed something?

I wasn't referring to any figures that may have appeared in this thread; I was just speaking generally. You get what you pay for (if you do your homework) and that is so very true with Busses. Besides, I'm stateside and I have no idea what 10k will buy in Great Britain. Over here 10k would buy one very fine Bus

windsurfer" I do have another car but my wife will be using that during the week. It would be a daily drive to get me to work (i.e. 20 miles said:
So it would not be the only form of transport for your family and you only do 20 miles a day! What in Gods name is stopping you from taking the plunge?! 20 miles a day. I Can't get my head around what the problem is, thats 'just around the corner'. Picked my son up this morning from his Mum, 16 miles, to the supermarket etc 15miles, take him to hockey tournament in morning, 30 miles, other errands, 20 miles, return to Mum, 16 miles. 97 miles without 'going anywhere'. No problems, piece of very nice and fun cake! If that is your type of useage along with holidays, then for goodness sake go for it!!!! Maintainance/repairs, then what all the others said. And there were a lot saying the same thing. It's easy. As a certain sports goods company say,
'JUST DO IT'

leon said:
Cart all 3 of my kids in mine!
Fitted the belts myself, hardest part was bringing myself to cut the original interior!

2008_0715interior0086.jpg

Hey Leon, that's exactly what I need for my two little ones. It looks cool too.

Loxy said:
slammedresto said:
I dont know if grahamL westy is still for sale, but that is one sold bus

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10296&st=0&sk=t&sd=a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks to be, I reckon this could tick every box.

I have checked the Westy out and love it. Only problem is that I really need a pop tor for the kids,

Cheers everyone for such cool advice.

Thanks

SimoN

I should have known that you needed a poptop. what with that being my main criteria when I got mine due to the kids :oops:

Have you seen this?
http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11543" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So it sounds like you are going to get one! Good move, just have to wait for the right one for your needs to come along, look forward to seeing what you get.

Gareth

Or you carry a good quality awning/stand alone something like the Kyham, full length rack to carry the boards and camping accessories.....

the pop does offer the benefit of over nighting though especially with little ones.....

We have gone for a tin top microbus, with z hinges for the rear bed, cab hammock (only got the one kid and dog), and we have a growing collection of tents and awnings which we pack for the relevant occassion, a couple of pop up tents for the emergency pull over when were too tired to go on or just fancy the area.....

cyberdyne systems said:
So it sounds like you are going to get one! Good move, just have to wait for the right one for your needs to come along, look forward to seeing what you get.

Gareth

Errrrm, yes (I think). It's still under discussion. I am seriously thinking yes, just got to sort everything out. I can't wait to hook up with you guys at Santa Pod or somewhere.
Cheers

Simon

p.s. please keep me posted with any Bays you think are suitable. I do like the look of that Westy Loxy, the only worry with that is the wardrobe means I couldn't fit 2 seatbelts. Any ideas?

I'm such a kid, I'm getting excited by the thought of driving my dream!!!!!!!!!

windsurfer said:
cyberdyne systems said:

Gareth

Errrrm, yes (I think). It's still under discussion. I am seriously thinking yes, just got to sort everything out. I can't wait to hook up with you guys at Santa Pod or somewhere.
Cheers

Simon

p.s. please keep me posted with any Bays you think are suitable. I do like the look of that Westy Loxy, the only worry with that is the wardrobe means I couldn't fit 2 seatbelts. Any ideas?

Good news lol, be good to meet you.

There are lap belts fitted to that westy, I believe one side can take a standard 3 point, so can't you put one child in the back and the other in the front, and if you have a partner they go in the back with the lap belt? A 3 point could be fitted to the other side anyhow if you put in a reinforcing plate to the rear floor (above gear box and engine)as long as its tucked right over it wouldn't interfere with the bed. You can order such plates from the belt manufacturor http://www.securon.co.uk/.

That is one awesome looking van, I really think you should investigate it further

cyberdyne systems said:
windsurfer said:
cyberdyne systems said:

Gareth

Cheers

Simon

Good news lol, be good to meet you.

There are lap belts fitted to that westy, I believe one side can take a standard 3 point, so can't you put one child in the back and the other in the front, and if you have a partner they go in the back with the lap belt? A 3 point could be fitted to the other side anyhow if you put in a reinforcing plate to the rear floor (above gear box and engine)as long as its tucked right over it wouldn't interfere with the bed. You can order such plates from the belt manufacturor http://www.securon.co.uk/.

That is one awesome looking van, I really think you should investigate it further

I am super tempted, I love both Westy's. Hank looks amazing, just not sure about the lack of pop-top. Decisions, decisions, Hank's not far from where I live too.

Speak to Graham L he made a bracket to fit on the cupboard side and bolts to the OG seat belt mounting, not sure that he ever fitted it though....

Latest posts