ADVISE PLEASE: Any PARENTS WITH A BAY!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why not ask Graham if you can go and have a look at Hank, i'm sure he wont mind knowing you would prefer a poptop, most of us are happy to show our van's to anyone whose interested, and you can see what sort of quality your after and how the conversion works etc, then if you like it and definately want a poptop, make enquiry's about the poptop one, they may have more photo's for you to see, and then if everything looks good, arrange to see it!

windsurfer said:
I am super tempted, I love both Westy's. Hank looks amazing, just not sure about the lack of pop-top. Decisions, decisions, Hank's not far from where I live too.

Perhaps its worth a look just so you can crawl under it and get a few tips from the owner, even if its not for you I'm sure Graham L would be happy to point out any areas that should be checked on other vans to a fellow EBer, and might be useful as a reference - get a feel for what your money might get you.
Also/alternatively you are welcome to come and have a look at mine (& whats left of haveacampers if you are quick) if you want to get a feel for a dormobile, it looks a bit of a mess on the outside due to a poor respray, but its an unwelded 50k miles uk 1 prev. owner bus. Malvern is less than an hour from us (even in Loxy). I have a pit here as well if you want to look underneath it.

cyberdyne systems said:
Why not ask Graham if you can go and have a look at Hank, i'm sure he wont mind knowing you would prefer a poptop, most of us are happy to show our van's to anyone whose interested, and you can see what sort of quality your after and how the conversion works etc, then if you like it and definately want a poptop, make enquiry's about the poptop one, they may have more photo's for you to see, and then if everything looks good, arrange to see it!

Great minds think alike :wink:

I am so stoked at how friendly and helpful you guys are. I need to have a Bay just to be past of such an amazing group of people.
I shall definately have a look at some, cheers Loxy, I'll be in touch.
Thanks.

windsurfer said:
I am so stoked at how friendly and helpful you guys are. I need to have a Bay just to be past of such an amazing group of people.

Its only cos we are such anoraks we dont have any mates :oops: :lol:

windsurfer said:
cheers Loxy, I'll be in touch.
Thanks.

No problem.

Hi Guys,
Thanks again for all of the advice.

Am still interested if any blindingly good Bays come up for grabs.
Cheers

Simon

my lad sits in the back or the front , in his carseat

prefers the back at night, as he doesnt like the headlights at night

IMG_7359.jpg

IMG_7386.jpg

slammedresto said:
my lad sits in the back or the front , in his carseat

prefers the back at night, as he doesnt like the headlights at night

IMG_7359.jpg

IMG_7386.jpg

That's super cute, I must get one now!@!!!!!!

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11213" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
this is "avaliable" although i have to inform a certain man who needs to sell his first about any serious bids. Good luck in your search

Hi Simon

The help and advice on here really is terrific. I'm new to this scene as well

Also not far away from you across the border in Burford. I have a '69 westy with pop top which you are more than welcome to come across and have a look at. I've already fitted it up with 3 seat belts for carrying the grandchildren - and they love it. My head is thinking of going in a slightly different direction and I'm tempted to sell. Send me a PM with your e mail address and I'll send you some photos and contact details

David

windsurfer said:
Hi Guys,
Thanks again for all of the advice.

Am still interested if any blindingly good Bays come up for grabs.
Cheers

Simon

Wow, just read this topic in full. So much great advice.
Our circumstances sound exactly the same. I'm in the market for a bus too, worried about kids, reliability and long distance travel with little mechanical aptitude, Check on all of the above!
I've looked at quite a few buses now and i'm considering a later model bay.
I'm not sure how the later models sit with the EBers? Late bays seem to have bigger, more powerful engines, more modern running gear and disc brakes up front. I guess if you go for a crossover model you get most of the above, plus the handsome looks of the EB.
What sort of performance are people getting from there standard buses? On a motorway for instance, what speed do you cruise at and what sort of MPG do you get. Does it vary significantly betweeen 1600 engines and the later 1800 or 2 litre types?
I know its not all about speed (or the lack thereof) just trying to get a realistic view!

ollybay said:
Late bays seem to have bigger, more powerful engines, more modern running gear and disc brakes up front. I guess if you go for a crossover model you get most of the above, plus the handsome looks of the EB.
What sort of performance are people getting from there standard buses? On a motorway for instance, what speed do you cruise at and what sort of MPG do you get. Does it vary significantly betweeen 1600 engines and the later 1800 or 2 litre types?
I know its not all about speed (or the lack thereof) just trying to get a realistic view!

'71 and '72 EBs both have disc brakes :)

'72 onwards can easily be fitted with the type 4 (1700/1800/2l) engines. These originally had different gearboxes, allowing for higher top speeds (and even faster drinking of fuel). Pretty much all other running gear (other than late bay type 4 engines and gearboxes, which only a few are fitted with) is the same as an early bay.

A stock 1600 bay will return 30mpg if set up right and driven gently on long journeys. Most owners probably get about 20mpg :lol:

I cruise at 55-60mph in my (stock 1600) bay, so about lorry speed. It will sit at 70, but crosswinds are scary, MPG plummets as you increase speed, and it is noisy too!

If you have enough money to spend, you could buy a larger type 1 (1600 originally) engine and a gearbox with longer gear ratios. A stock 1600 just doesn't have the oomph to cope with much higher gear ratios than standard. Also, if you increase the gear ratios, you will need to improve the engine cooling (as fan speed (and amount of cooling air shifted) is proportional to engine rpm)

ollybay said:
Wow, just read this topic in full. So much great advice.
Our circumstances sound exactly the same. I'm in the market for a bus too, worried about kids, reliability and long distance travel with little mechanical aptitude, Check on all of the above!
I've looked at quite a few buses now and i'm considering a later model bay.
I'm not sure how the later models sit with the EBers? Late bays seem to have bigger, more powerful engines, more modern running gear and disc brakes up front. I guess if you go for a crossover model you get most of the above, plus the handsome looks of the EB.

I would say a rust free body (preferably an unrestored one) is the single most important thing to consider when buying a bus, regardless of whether its a split,early,crossover or late. All the other things - brakes, engine, gearbox etc can be changed relatively cheaply in comparison to body repairs imho, or can be upgraded as & when you have the money and/or desire to do so.

As far as top speed goes the sky is the limit as long as you are prepared to pay for it (& provide suitable stopping facilities), but I think most people that drive vans arent that bothered about the time taken to get to their destination, as they are too busy looking good :lol:

To be honest speed / performance generally goes out of the window with a kiddie carrying bus, life slows down and you are overwhelmed by the driving pleasure and the knowledge that as a whole your driving the best, coolest, sexiest damn vehicle on the road .... till someone approaches you driving the best, coolest, sexiest damn vehicle on the road and its a wave, a nod and a smile and carry on driving the best, coolest, sexiest damn bus on the road..... 8)

as said buy good steel, the rest can be worked on relatively cheaply to bloody costly depending on styles, performance and look your after.

Just chill for a while that 5 hour drive normally to Cornwall will now be nearer 7 hey whatever you'll get there you can always pull over and put the kettle on......

Araon said:
To be honest speed / performance generally goes out of the window with a kiddie carrying bus, life slows down and you are overwhelmed by the driving pleasure and the knowledge that as a whole your driving the best, coolest, sexiest damn vehicle on the road .... till someone approaches you driving the best, coolest, sexiest damn vehicle on the road and its a wave, a nod and a smile and carry on driving the best, coolest, sexiest damn bus on the road..... 8)
If your serious about wanting something for the kids to be safe in then buy a people carrier also known as a microbus :D :D
Seriously though you want get anything cooler sexier or slower!
As for weekends away, well thats what awnings where made for.
My advice........JUST BUY 1

froggy said:
If your serious about wanting something for the kids to be safe in then buy a people carrier also known as a microbus :D :D
Seriously though you want get anything cooler sexier or slower!
As for weekends away, well thats what awnings where made for.

Microbuses are ace :D

Mine does get used to carry 8 people occasionally (daily driven, the interior is lighter than a camping interior which helps MPG and performance...)

CIMG7550.jpg

And good for a weekend away as it turns into a full width double bed, with Daves excellent Z-bed hinges ;)

CIMG7739.jpg

(Actually, 3 people (including myself) spent 10 days in the (tintop) van before... :D)

Araon said:

as said buy good steel, the rest can be worked on relatively cheaply to bloody costly depending on styles, performance and look your after.

Just chill for a while that 5 hour drive normally to Cornwall will now be nearer 7 hey whatever you'll get there you can always pull over and put the kettle on......

all true

but my 17mth old son loves my 1914 and SS turbo muffler :wink: :mrgreen:

Latest posts