Ages

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hobbo said:
I am still known to crawl under the van, nowadays jacked up on axle stands or ramps, but sometimes my wife has to help me get back up. But will keep the van as long as I am capable of driving it.

Still crawling! My dad at 72 offered me his welding equipment - had been lying on ground welding his tractor and said he was never lying on the ground again ( and so for some reason never welding again seemed to be his logic).

(btw - I'm a few years off 76 so you'r still winning)

I’m 28, was brought up in Volkswagens. Can’t ever rememember a point in my life where there hasn’t been an aircooled Volkswagen on the driveway. Got my own bus when I was 18 which I’ve still got, restoring currently in fact and a 1960 beetle which I rebuilt too.

Got a workshop full of customers VWs at the moment too so my whole life is just vw’s :shock: :lol:

I’m 61. I sat in a splitty my Dad bought way, way back when me and my brother were really young. It sat for two weeks at the front of the house whilst we just looked inside and outside in awe at it. We agreed for years it was the one we remembered. Little trips out to countryside picnics. Then he gave it to my uncle and we were gutted. The same Uncle bought my lovely little Mini countryman estate when I was brassic. I reckon he knew a good one when he saw it!! My Dad had about 150 cars (slight exaggeration but it felt like it) which were his choice of the week or month. He even bought a black taxi cab home once, which Mum hit ballistic country about. He got rid pretty soonish. We drove around in either luxury cars in leather and walnut or had a Hillman Imp. I remember being picked up from school once resulting in being sat on the back of a motorbike without crash helmet on a Francis Barnett doing a Barry Sheene around a roundabout peeing myself. No wonder I loved the slow, dignified pace of the dub. The VW Split experience must have stayed because my brother dreams of owning a dub. I obviously own one, or I wouldn’t be here, and want to keep mine on the road. I can’t afford to, but......Hey!!. 61 years old would bring stability financially you would imagine. No chance. The beautiful. lovely, little beast eats up the wages. But........Dub or Hillman Imp? You decide.

Latest posts