Air in brake system

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They're on! Using Super glue, the contact adhesive was too messy and I had to get the piston back out to clean all the glue off!
936daffde8f2f6a28d0e41a5013f2b35.jpg

Sent from my SM-G9600 using Tapatalk

fallingoffalot said:
OK thanks I'll look tomorrow. Something else I've learnt, if you leave your 7mm spanner on the bleed nipple then go out for a drive it makes it very hard to find it again!!
:lol: You’re fortunate this is all you learned...

Thanks for all the advice so far, it has been very useful. My rear brake issue is that the near side is not getting any (or very little fluid). So this must be some sort of blockage. The flexible hose looks very old and misshapen.

So I guess I just need a new hose :)

Replaced the n/s hose, it was completely blocked, the other was fine (and was done up very tight!) Anyway all good now hopefully, pedal is consistent on each press, although still travels quite far, I assume this is down to the rears needing to be adjusted.

It took me at least an hour to get the clip off the top of the hose, it was in a really awkward position and I ended up pushing it up from the bottom with a screwdriver and hammer. The dirt on it made it look like it hadn't been changed for many years.

Looking forward to braking in a straight line!

So brakes still a bit spongy, it's drivable but the pedal travels further on the fist push than the second if you know what I mean, is this normal I can't remember, they aren't very good though and I can't skid. I've bled it again but there doesn't seem to be any air coming out. Could there be air trapped somewhere that won't come out? Is this a sign that something else is wrong?

I had the same with mine (only firm on 2nd push) until I did the recent work on the rear, the fault was the rear cylinder. But it was the final front bleed that sorted the pedal out after I’d set the rear shoes. I have drums all round btw

353b8a06efad9bb88e04b69d14d5fbb9.jpg

This is from vw resource.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A new problem had appeared, I bought some new front disk pads, concerned that the old ones may be contaminated or something. Anyway I can't get one in! This is because the boot on the inner side won't sit flush and won't allow enough room to slide the new pad in. I could do with the pad being 1-2mm thinner. Any suggestions anyone?

You'll all be pleased to know that my brakes are perfect now! I can brake in a straight line [emoji846]

The old pads turned out to be fine, they got about 8mm left.

The front brakes no longer drag, all I did was clean up the spring-clip with some 600 grit.

The handbrake works on both wheels at about 5-6 clicks.

When the current pads need replacing, I'm going to have to get some new calipers otherwise I won't get the new pads in.

Thanks for all the advice over the last few weeks it's been quite an adventure!

Cheers Mike, I looked into removing the valve, but it didn't quite look the same and the dragging didn't seem to be as bad as what was described, so thankfully it appears to have been done or was not needed.

Latest posts