Air shocks

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting stuff.

I want to go very low on the crewcab, and while I'd like to go 'au naturale', air assist shocks look like the sensible thing to do :oops:

Ive been looking into getting air on SuperDry and was told air shocks are no good for height adjustment on the back of a Bay as they way too much and you'd have to run them at such a high pressure to get any lift that the ride would be rock hard.

I did ask on the other 'air suspension' thread about this but didn't seem to get an answer.

I can see that, but I think most only want them to as helpers when traversing over enthusiastic speed bumps, or rough camping ground, for the most part the original suspension will be doing it's job :)

Interested to see how this pans out. Want to sort out the suspension on the pick up, mainly the rear to allow me to raise it up a bit when under load. Putting canoes and bikes in tne rear with camping bits lowers it a wee bit.
Could you do this front and rear.
I know a mate who has put on air shocks on the front of his spli screen so he don't hit the radiator on the underside when going on and off the ferries
Alisdair did you sort anything out?

T2D offer a solution too, and competitively priced. I'd be keen to hear from anyone who has had this done (I'm considering it).

I'm only concerned with the front (for speed humps and getting into my garage!)

rustydiver said:
Interested to see how this pans out. Want to sort out the suspension on the pick up, mainly the rear to allow me to raise it up a bit when under load. Putting canoes and bikes in tne rear with camping bits lowers it a wee bit.
Could you do this front and rear.
I know a mate who has put on air shocks on the front of his spli screen so he don't hit the radiator on the underside when going on and off the ferries
Alisdair did you sort anything out?

Hi,

Translated from the website that Dirty Harry mentioned:

Of Monroe shock absorbers with air pressure assistance for VW Bus T2 until year 79, more like high-Jackers, NEW! Set price 230 € including tubing and screws for the rear axle,
the purpose of these shocks with Luftbalgunterstützung is the car at high load or towing a trailer by increasing the air pressure again be raised to normal levels.
The shocks cause a lift kit of the vehicle at the mounting axis in corresponding operating pressure.
After replacing the production shocks by the monroe level shocks must be moved both air pressure lines to a suitable, accessible location.
The tubes with the supplied T-piece connected.
is seated properly, the O-rings to be respected. The plastic -. Screw caps on the hose connections are tightened by hand, while only slightly
embarrassed by the plastic tubing should be at least about 3 bar pressure immediately be filled. Therefore a normal compressor, a 12-volt Notkompressor, a foot pump or a compressed air station will use the gas station.
The allowable operating pressure is between 1.5 and 9.5 bar.
'm really excited about the lift function and the damping effect .
For T2 front, rear beetles, and T3 at the camp bus
02863-1367 or 0173-2953046

More pictures on the website:

http://bugnet.de/markt/marktbild.pl?141081" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I mailed the guy, reply below:

Yes, you can buy the shockabsorber from monroe.
You can lift up them, when you need it.
For T2 Bus in the rear it cost 230 Euro for a pair, a. komplete Set.
Shipping to UK is about 25 Euro

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Norbert Bruns
Coesfelder Str. 76
D-46342 Velen

Tel. 02863-1367, Mobil 0173-2953046

http://www.kaefervwrostfrei.de" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have some idea's about this, along the lines of the usa link mentioned previously, just need to do some measurements and homework. My initial concern as mentioned above that in jacking up the rear the ride will be too hard, but i wonder if this is down to the particular shock, what i mean is, if the bay is heavier than the supposed original application of the air shock, maybe trying to match up a replacement air shock from a similar size car, or heavier, than this may well help?

Cheers!

Alistair

Here is a site of a German guy that also installed these shocks and he loves them and i must say when i lift my front the shocks are a little stiffer but still very comfortable.
Do not forget you use them as a little helper and not as a full airride system.
I'm sure you can get them cheaper when buying directly from a US source like i did.

http://www.vw-t2-bulli.de/index.php?de-rideleveler" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[youtube]<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/26Uf3MvFaBY&hl=de_DE&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/26Uf3MvFaBY&hl=de_DE&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Cheers,

Alistair

Now a real dumb ass question, do I need a onboard compressor on the van or a double barrel foot pump do the job for pumping up the rear.

Want to fit something to the rear of the pick up, so when we load up with bikes, canoes and camping gear I can have a bit of rear suspension, hardness donesnt bother that much cos when it's empty at the rear it's a hard bouncy ride. The van I mean. :msn4: could the same be done for the front too?

rustydiver said:
Now a real dumb ass question, do I need a onboard compressor on the van or a double barrel foot pump do the job for pumping up the rear.

Want to fit something to the rear of the pick up, so when we load up with bikes, canoes and camping gear I can have a bit of rear suspension, hardness donesnt bother that much cos when it's empty at the rear it's a hard bouncy ride. The van I mean. :msn4: could the same be done for the front too?

I'm using a foot pump currently ;)

stuif said:
I'm going to get my airshocks (front) next week :bliss:

Are you going the T2D route? I'd love to hear the results (either publicly or via a PM). I am probably going to go this route too.

adamski said:
stuif said:
I'm going to get my airshocks (front) next week :bliss:

Are you going the T2D route? I'd love to hear the results (either publicly or via a PM). I am probably going to go this route too.
I'll have a chat with the guys from T2D this saterday at the hot chocolate party at Kieft and Klok over here in Holland.
I've spoken to a guy in holland who's selling them over here, and propebly i'll be bying them of him.
My front beam is being narrowed at the moment, and i'm going to collect my dropped spindels also saterday at the party.
I'll keep you posted as soon as I got results ;)

Got my shocks and fitted them on my (narrowed) neam :D
dscf2419m.jpg
[/url]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

And fitted
dscf2434bk.jpg
[/url]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

Hope you can see the pics :msn4:

Looks good! What other parts are you using? which compressor etc.

->Adam

Hi,

Whilst i was ordering the group buy truck mirrors, i also ordered from my supplier, a full set of front and rear of air dampers, fitting kits and a compressor with in dash pressure gauge and push button to raise and button to deflate,

Air shocks are designed to be adjusted to ease your ride, as well as raise your vehicle chassis to a higher position when it is heavily loaded or requires additional ground clearance, but they are not always able to be conveniently adjusted. This kit changes that.

A compact air management system specifically designed to pressurize and depressurize your vehicle's already installed air shocks, right from the dashboard, the Kit consists of a small, but durable air compressor that is connected at one end to a pressure gauge at the dashboard and at the other, to your air shocks, The compressor is powerful enough to pressurize your shocks without the need for an air tank and is conveniently powered via a connection to your vehicle's 15-amp minimum fuse box, usually located below the dashboard. Around the dashboard is also where the unit's single needle pressure gauge is best located, using the included self-tapping screws. In addition to registering pressures up to 200 psi,* this gauge also features an easy-to-use on/off switch and a one-touch deflate button to lower your vehicle just as easy as it is raised. The kit also contains all neccessary mounting hardware, a generous length of air line and instruction manual.

Controller Kit Features:

Allows driver control for air shock pressure right from the driver seat
Includes rugged onboard air compressor
Utilizes a universal connector suitable for most air shocks including those factory installed
Option to control four air springs in pairs from one compressor
Includes dash mount gauge panel, hardware and a generous length of air line
Easy to install and powered via a connection to your vehicle's fuse box

Damper Features:

All Weather Fluid: Contains special modifiers to reduce friction and ensure smooth rod reaction
Full Displaced Valving: Better valving range on both the compression and extension cycles of the unit for a smooth comfortable ride
Sintered Iron Piston: Stronger than traditional metals, enhances durability for long service life
Lubricated Air Sleeve: Reduces friction for longer service life Provides smoother operation during suspension movement
1/2" Piston Rod: Hardened and precision ground rod for consistent performance and long service life

I'll post up some pics of the full kit when it arrives. Kieft and Klok are selling what looks like the same setup as i have on it's way, they want 495 euro's - I reckon i can get this set up for maybe £350 off the top of my head. If there is interest, i may even do a group buy! :lol: ;) :roll:

Cheers,

Alistair

This ^^^^^ sounds very similar to my set up, although I don't have any air shocks on the back.....I'd be a little worried due to the weight of the van.

As for the front, it is great being able to adjust the pressure from the cab. I've also had the top shock mount moved and a bracket for the bottom mount made up to help with the lift.

As mentioned this won't act as a full air ride kit as the speed isn't fantastic and the lift at maximum will only be around 5cms, however this does help with any small bumps/ramps!!

I've got the Monroe shocks, if you want maximum lift then you really need to go the route of John the Horse which is awesome or the air ride technology shocks from airkewld, that said these are a much more expensive route than the Monroe shocks!!

Just my opinion :D

Matt Maz said:
This ^^^^^ sounds very similar to my set up, although I don't have any air shocks on the back.....I'd be a little worried due to the weight of the van.

As for the front, it is great being able to adjust the pressure from the cab. I've also had the top shock mount moved and a bracket for the bottom mount made up to help with the lift.

As mentioned this won't act as a full air ride kit as the speed isn't fantastic and the lift at maximum will only be around 5cms, however this does help with any small bumps/ramps!!

I've got the Monroe shocks, if you want maximum lift then you really need to go the route of John the Horse which is awesome or the air ride technology shocks from airkewld, that said these are a much more expensive route than the Monroe shocks!!

Just my opinion :D

Hi,

I was looking for a cheap setup to give a small increase in ride height, especially at the rear, which has a little sag, and to level it out when fully loaded, would be ideal if you have a caravan or trailer too. I am looking for some chunky tyres, so figured this would a nice set up too.

My suspension is a little soft, the new dampers alone are double damped, so will help with the softness, plus the benefit of the air ride and lift available at the touch of a button, and new bushes as mine were tired, it's a win win for my application.

The damper kit can be used with a air line or pump, you dont even need the compressor, which would save like £100 or so.

Johns air ride is awesome, but i just wanted a little help with the ride height, not a full on slam or fast lift set up with tanks or whatever, though you can get a tank for this if you were really in a rush and didn't want to wait the extra few minutes! I understand the the compressor with lift uo to 4 dampers too, so do both ends at the same time, or just front or rear.

I dont think the weight of the rear of the van is a issue, remember these are designed for lift when towing, so will take upto the max payload of the van without trouble i did see a spec sheet on this, will see if i can find it somewhere.

I'm looking forward to fitting it and seeing it in action - or adding it to the increasing pile of other bits in the garage! :roll: :lol:

Cheers!

Alistair

Latest posts