Air shocks

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stuif said:
I'll be intersted in the dash mounted height controller and compressor.
Any idea for the cost of them :D

Hi,

I reckon the kit with out dampers is perhaps 180-200 with extra damper fitting air hose kits. Full kit with 4 dampers about 350? Bear in mind i am using these on a stock bus (when i fit them!) but will work with dropped spindles as they use stock length dampers.

Cheers,

Alistair

stuif said:
I'll be intersted in the dash mounted height controller and compressor.
Any idea for the cost of them :D

Thanks man, I just found a set for 183 Euro on the WWW.
This will complete my set for the frontside (rear will be just adjustable springplates)

Have you got around to fitting these yet, if so how good are they, how easy are to fit?
Let's see some pics PLEASE. :D

My set arrived this week. I will be fitting them in the next couple of months...

aogrady said:
Hi,

I have now got the kit together, though i haven't had the time to check for the spacer and bolts etc

DSC_0036.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg

DSC_0034.jpg

DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

As you will see, i have both front and rear shocks, instead of just the 2 offered by the others. I got this in for my bus, but once i get the spacer etc, i may offer if any interest, a kit with everything you see, 2 fitting kits, 4 air dampers, pipework and dash mounted height controller with inflate and deflate from the dash , gauge and 100psi compressor for probably £350
Could do it cheaper if you source your own, or make up a spacer, which shouldn't be too hard, a very nice saving over the 450 euro's!

Cheers,

Alistair

Mate where can you get this kit from? It looks awesome.

rockandrollcamper said:
aogrady said:
Hi,

I have now got the kit together, though i haven't had the time to check for the spacer and bolts etc

DSC_0036.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg

DSC_0034.jpg

DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

As you will see, i have both front and rear shocks, instead of just the 2 offered by the others. I got this in for my bus, but once i get the spacer etc, i may offer if any interest, a kit with everything you see, 2 fitting kits, 4 air dampers, pipework and dash mounted height controller with inflate and deflate from the dash , gauge and 100psi compressor for probably £350
Could do it cheaper if you source your own, or make up a spacer, which shouldn't be too hard, a very nice saving over the 450 euro's!

Cheers,

Alistair

Hi,

I haven't had time to fit this little lot yet, it still sits in the back of my bus, i was quite keen to try and get a kit for my bus, and had thought about it for some time, and around this time i had found some info out, and had help from other folk with numbers and things. I sourced it all from the states as this isn't available at all in the UK

Now, it may or may not be the same supplier as T2D, as i have seen pictures of there kit, and it is exactly the same, though the major difference, aside from theirs is massively more expensive, and is only 2 dampers - not the full set of 4 i have got.

It did cost me quite a bit, and with duty which i did get clobbered for also :roll: I was figuring on maybe getting another set or so in, but i wanted to try it out on my bus first.

I know I need to get made up a spacer, and some longer bolts, maybe some rubber bushes, but this is readily available i am sure. I have not had the time, as my bus is outside, and the weather isn't great, and my girlfriend is poorly (pregnancy) so any free time at weekends more often than not she is trying to catch up on sleep, or trying not to throw up, so i am being the baby daddy! The bus is taking a back seat a bit, but speaking of back seat, i need to but the interior back together, as i have new seat belts to fit for our baby girl, and the new born when he/she arrives in June.

The plan was to get all what i need to fit this kit, i'e bolts and spacer, as i already have all the wiring and pipework etc, fit it, get it documented, run it and then see if anyone was interested in a similar kit at a much reduced price to what is currently on sale elsewhere. Not interested in being the next Richard Branson, but figured a little profit on a kit all goes towards keeping my bus on the road, and everyone saves some good money, and it helps in case i get stung again on duty getting any more in!

Cheers,

Alistair

I would be interested in a set in time. Can you operate the front and rear sepereatly.
Mainly interested in the rear for the split pick up, when I'm loaded up but would do the front too.

rustydiver said:
I would be interested in a set in time. Can you operate the front and rear sepereatly.
Mainly interested in the rear for the split pick up, when I'm loaded up but would do the front too.

Hi,

You can link them together, according to the blurb it will do both ends, looking at it, you will need a T piece or 2 to link them all to the same feed, or it will do one end only, a dual kit, well, that was another £150 or so for that option, with solenoids and dual guages, so i didnt bother. I was looking for a cost effective solution, without spending a fortune, other dual kits are like 400 quid just for heavy duty twin compressors etc, plus all the suspension dampers.

Nothing stopping you from using a airline to set the front to set at whatever you want, and use the on board air for the rear or front.

I intend to use it to do both ends the same to raise the bus up a little ;)

Cheers,

Alistair

Well I've managed to find the compressor/control kits. I just need to find the shocks.

What shocks are people using other than Monroe ?

Cheers

Nigel

Is your intention to have your bus lowered to a reasonable height and then simply use the air shocks to let you get over stuff, or is your Bus on it's arse and the shocks are planned to be used to get it up to a driveable height?
I have done a bit of research and have been told that the pressure required in the rear shocks to lift the back of a Bay up will make the ride very very harsh.
Additionally, if the plan is to drive on the rear shocks when they're charged, do the mounts require any reinforcement??
I am keen to get the back end of my Bud down another inch or so but that means it just isn't driveable and wouldn't even go on my drive. My thoughts are to get Air or Hydro's to let me lift it up for driving and then dump it when I park up.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how this works out for you aogrady. I'd be interested in a set if it all goes well, I'm going to need to change all my shocks anyway as I adjust the spindles and this seems the ideal way.

Good work :D

Lee

LeeZee said:
I'm really looking forward to seeing how this works out for you aogrady. I'd be interested in a set if it all goes well, I'm going to need to change all my shocks anyway as I adjust the spindles and this seems the ideal way.

Good work :D

Lee

Hi,

I need to find the time to get this sorted, may be having some more bodywork done soon, i may ask for some suspension modding whilst it's in :msn4:

Will keep you posted when i get it fitted and tested.

Cheers

Alistair

I'm thinking that I should still lower my van in the normal way so that at the running height the shocks are at the normal running pressure and that they are only pressured up when requiring a lift.

I also think a small tank and a couple of solenoid valves could have these moving much faster and "Cooler" for very little extra cost.

I'm sure a small compressor with a couple of solenoid valves would work a treat. I'd probably put in flow restrictors to stop it jumping like something out a Snoop Dawg video though.

aogrady said:
adamski said:
My set arrived this week. I will be fitting them in the next couple of months...

Did you get round to fitting? Interested in seeing who yours compare.

Still got mine to do. :roll:

Cheers,

Alistair
after Big Bang is the plan...

OK I couldn't wait as I want to fit shocks as I put on my beam and spring plates etc. I've bought the monroe shocks and the compressor but I've bought the indipendant front and back adjustment.

From what I hear you need to prime the rears before fitting, I'm guessing this is as the shocks don't like the pressure required to lift the van from fully compressed and can pop the shock so to speak. I guess that mean applying pressure and locking it in before fitting, either that or fitting then taking the van to the minimum pressuree before letting it rest on te shock.

I'll report on the results.

Lee

rockandrollcamper said:
aogrady said:
Hi,

Cheers,

Alistair

you can buy everything bar the shocks off sears.com, the air lift compressor is $40!! 100psi job, the kit with air management is $123 cheap as chips. Postage from sears.com is £20 flat to the UK so you save a packet. They also calculate UK tax and duty and add that on so you can see exactly what you will be paying no extras.

rock auto sell monroe shocks £68 posted. http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?catalog=904&partnum=MA822&a=UK904-MA822-32052" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have this kit on my bug but had to remove the grub screw on my lowered beam to allow the torsion leaves to move freely as the ride was stupidly stiff. They can support the weight on the front of a beetle but you couldnt do this with the bus. I cant image how stiff the ride would be at 85 to 100 psi. I have to say with the leaves removed the bug rides better than stock. Im adding some electric solenoids (£10) you need two per shock and check valves on each solenoid. They allow much faster deflation and if you add a tank your compressor wont be struggling. The best reason to fit electric valves is you don't get any side to side transfer when cornering. This isn't bad on a bug but in a bus with the weight transfer could make corners quite hairy.

I have to keep a minimum of 20 PSI in my shocks as they don't like being bottomed out at all infact it will destroy them pretty quickly. The pressure switch with that kit is set at 5 PSI but does allow adjustment. I have a mine set at 20 PSI. You have to remember these wont lower your bus just raise it up. You need to be lowered first. I would advise going for a viair setup and add a tank so the inflation times are much faster.

To be honest i dont think these shocks are strong enough to raise the weight of the bus at the back they certainly cant do it on a bug or lift it more than 2 inches with the rear torsion bars connected. I've heard Pete @ airkewld say that back in the day this is how they did it and they went through a set of shocks every fortnight :shock:

Theres a great thread on the samba albeit it about bugs but the same principles apply. I would advise anyone thinking of doing this on the bus read it, its about 40 pages long. Some interesting findings and facts from guys who have been running on air longer than most of us have been into VWs. If you read into what pete at airkewld says then you may be put off. I know he may have an agenda as he is running his own business but i wouldnt doubt most of what he has said.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=313075&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=43f6f9f2c0f7a5a41025c93bbde7c7eb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I dont want to put people off just to let them know the facts before they put their money into it. Also the proviso that everything i have said is regarding very low slammed buses, for extra height on lowered buses it may work. I cant wait to find out if it does and how reliable it is.

Agree with Johnny and he has made some valid points, looking at the kits I cannot see that compressor having enough power to lift the bus and keep them inflated, this has always been the problem with air shocks on buses is finding a compressor that will successfully lift the weight of a bus in a reasonable time frame and keep it there.

I know of 3 set ups were the compressor has failed because its having to work too hard as its not up to the job, will be interested to see the kit fitted and whether it works OK,

Johnny said:
you can buy everything bar the shocks off sears.com, the air lift compressor is $40!! 100psi job, the kit with air management is $123 cheap as chips. Postage from sears.com is £20 flat to the UK so you save a packet. They also calculate UK tax and duty and add that on so you can see exactly what you will be paying no extras.

rock auto sell monroe shocks £68 posted. http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?catalog=904&partnum=MA822&a=UK904-MA822-32052" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have this kit on my bug but had to remove the grub screw on my lowered beam to allow the torsion leaves to move freely as the ride was stupidly stiff. They can support the weight on the front of a beetle but you couldnt do this with the bus. I cant image how stiff the ride would be at 85 to 100 psi. I have to say with the leaves removed the bug rides better than stock. Im adding some electric solenoids (£10) you need two per shock and check valves on each solenoid. They allow much faster deflation and if you add a tank your compressor wont be struggling. The best reason to fit electric valves is you don't get any side to side transfer when cornering. This isn't bad on a bug but in a bus with the weight transfer could make corners quite hairy.

I have to keep a minimum of 20 PSI in my shocks as they don't like being bottomed out at all infact it will destroy them pretty quickly. The pressure switch with that kit is set at 5 PSI but does allow adjustment. I have a mine set at 20 PSI. You have to remember these wont lower your bus just raise it up. You need to be lowered first. I would advise going for a viair setup and add a tank so the inflation times are much faster.

To be honest i dont think these shocks are strong enough to raise the weight of the bus at the back they certainly cant do it on a bug or lift it more than 2 inches with the rear torsion bars connected. I've heard Pete @ airkewld say that back in the day this is how they did it and they went through a set of shocks every fortnight :shock:

Theres a great thread on the samba albeit it about bugs but the same principles apply. I would advise anyone thinking of doing this on the bus read it, its about 40 pages long. Some interesting findings and facts from guys who have been running on air longer than most of us have been into VWs. If you read into what pete at airkewld says then you may be put off. I know he may have an agenda as he is running his own business but i wouldnt doubt most of what he has said.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=313075&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=43f6f9f2c0f7a5a41025c93bbde7c7eb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I dont want to put people off just to let them know the facts before they put their money into it. Also the proviso that everything i have said is regarding very low slammed buses, for extra height on lowered buses it may work. I cant wait to find out if it does and how reliable it is.

Hi

Had a look on Sears, and the dampers i have, and the airlift kit with shipping is £317.93 Not including the extra fitting kits, and then customs?

Yeah, i understand 20 psi is minimum. Also the dampers are the same as used by Kieft and Klok and T2D, so they must know what they are doing?

Dirty Harry uses these on the front of his bus, and he said in a earlier post:

Here is a site of a German guy that also installed these shocks and he loves them and i must say when i lift my front the shocks are a little stiffer but still very comfortable.
Do not forget you use them as a little helper and not as a full airride system.

http://www.vw-t2-bulli.de/index.php?de-rideleveler" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for raising the back of a bus:

[youtube]<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/26Uf3MvFaBY&hl=de_DE&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/26Uf3MvFaBY&hl=de_DE&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></embed></object>[/youtube]

I think to be honest, if you are trying to use these on a slammed bus, or as a cheapo air ride kit then it's not gonna work, I have a standard bus, standard height, and just want better quality dampers that are cheap, and can be used to support a saggy rear end, or to support when loaded with camping kit, or caravan and trailer, and this is what i believe they are perfectly designed for, as stated in what loads they will work by, and this is what they are suited for, and this is all i want them for! I'm not into slamming!

I don't need or want tanks and solenoids and all that, and a basic compressor is all i need, i'm not gonna be wanting to be raising and dumping it all the time to drive over twigs in the road!

I suspect the Kieft and Klok et al have a larger duty compressor, which you would need if using it all the time, obvious really. You can use a airline at a garage or foot pump to get what you want also.

I'm happy with what i have bought, and cant wait to try it, ot's ideal for my particular application, and hopefully soon will get it fitted! 8)

As long as you use these in conjunction with what you already have you may be ok, for slammed rides this will never work. I know for a fact that on the back of the bug with the air lift 100psi kit i can only move the rear end 2-3 inches max at 100psi I just tried it this evening :) . I'm running 2 outer splines down and red9, 2 inch lowered spring plates. my shocks are monroe air max 756s.

Whats the difference in weight between the rear of a bug and a bus?

found this http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&sugexp=frgbld&gs_nf=1&ds=pr&pq=air+lift+kit&cp=21&gs_id=1y&xhr=t&q=air+lift+load+control&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1024&bih=490&wrapid=tljp1331684698085245&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=15347160709451740440&sa=X&ei=mOVfT9eOJ-eh0QWwm8GsBw&sqi=2&ved=0CGMQ8wIwAA#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

£118 for the basic kit. All the fittings and dot pipe you need to do two shocks including air management.

http://www.amazon.com/25592-Controller-Air-Compressor-System/dp/B00017YYI6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331685363&sr=8-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the compressor can be had for $48 not $40 as i said, sorry. http://www.amazon.com/Air-Lift-16060-Compressor/dp/B001NS24AM/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1331685181&sr=8-6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the shocks have an unsual fitment and the fittings were a few pounds. I used compression fittings so i could bend the pipe more under the wing without worrying about leakage.

shame we dont know some folks in the US as you could get a few kits posted dirt cheap.

Latest posts