Ankor Wax

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scamperbus

Reaction score
I want to make sure my 38 year old nicely patina’d OG paintwork doesn’t deteriorate. At the moment it’s a mixture of faded paint in places polished down to the primer, sun scorching and a few areas of mild surface rust which looks great, but I’m worried that if I don’t do anything to preserve it it’s gonna be a rust bucket in a couple of years.

I’ve read lots of conflicting things about ankor wax but I’m 75% certain this is the best way to go. Anybody got any first hand experience of using it?

What I’m concerned about is
1) I don’t want my bus to feel sticky, get flies stuck all over it or for people to get messy if they accidentally brush against it (I have a 4 year old!)

2) If I ever did decide to have it repainted I want to know I can get the stuff off completely. I’ve heard stories that you can never completely degrease the metal as it soaks in and ruins any chance of a decent respray.

3) How much will it darken my paintwork? Currently my bus is a very faded VW Brilliant blue with White roof.

If I don’t use Ankor Wax, would something like Turtle Wax or Simonez do the job? (I want to avoid a shiney bus though).

Cheers!!

sorry dood, i have a scooby doo, never used it...........yet :wink:

I'd just use a decent wax like Autoglym on the bodywork.
I have never washed any of my vans with water, i always wash with a wax to build it up and project the paint work.

What you need to remember is that paint is there to protect the metal and all you can do is keep trying to prevent it going any further.

You see loads of ratty vans that come over from very dry places and if you don't do anything to them they will fall to bits with the UK Climate.

I also sprayed wax oil in to the front air grille area and half moon vents in the rear and engine bay as these areas are prone to water getting in to them.

It's a pain but protect in all the areas you can think of including floor areas etc... as it's a dam site cheaper than having to get welded.

Thanks Bayview. Those links really helped. Now it seems I'll be able to get it off if I ever decide to go for a repaint I'm going to get myself a can of the stuff.

Tonight is the first night my bus hasn't been garaged and it's raining so I need to get to it!!

Latest posts