Another steering box issue

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marshy

Reaction score
Needing a little help please, when bought the bus the P O had mentioned that it steers but has a loud clunk on full lock, the steering wheel moves a lot before any steering actually takes place, I'm replacing the tie rods, drag link and steering damper which hopefully helps the movement but not sure about the clunk!
I've taken the box plate off and all looks well inside but there is a lot of movement of the arm to the drag link (enough when the plate is off the pin disengages with the worm, but with the plate on it moves approx 1-2mm) is this normal?

Also, what's best oil to refill

Do you mean the play in the steering shaft that the pitman arm fits onto has movement in and out of the box?

If thats the case, it sounds like the adjuster is backed off too far..

You should adjust the screw on the case side just enough to feel a tight spot as it goes through its centre point.. not too tight, just a bit of resistance.

Hilly

The box should be filled with EP 90 gear oil. I used the Morris one that I got from JK to refill my gearbox. It's easiest with one of the litre bottles with a flexible tube thingy, fill it up until it drips out of the filer hole (and all up your arm!)

Thanks guys, will take on board and hopefully sort it out soon

This is 2nd hand info btw as I'm new to it. I'm told a worn idler pin causes a clunk on stationary/almost stationary/ parking manouvering.

I'm going to probably change mine just because as I need to change the steering damper, drag link etc anyway.

Sorry that's not a ton of use :shock: :lol:

Was wondering whether or not to replace idler pin too, already bought the tie rods and damper, getting drag link too so will get idler too, hopefully will be sweet after replacing all that

My idler pin and draglink are getting done the end of this week or beginning of next. Will let you know if it makes a difference or not. I have the same as you where it feels like it's clunking straight up the steering wheel, but then I guess the noise/feel could travel as it's all connected.

Right I'm all done. Pretty much the same as you in symptoms, as in clunk on turning and the steering wheel moved a good 5 inches round before anything happened at the wheels.

The idler pin was obviously fine on inspection. The ball joints on the draglink however..... So draglink changed and a new steering dampener on and it's almost miraculous!

Clunk gone and I've lost the play on the steering wheel. The wheels now start wobbling in time with the steering being moved. Well happy with that 8)

Thanks for the update hodgins, didn't see you initial post, will follow your lead and hopefully cure the issue.

Latest posts