Reaching out for help, steering!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dublicious

Reaction score
Hey All,

I am reaching out for help as I am at a loss. The steering on my 1970 bay has always been terrible so over the years I have tried to tackle it with the following:

- Steering box rebuilt, twice, last time by Midland Early bay. Lovely and tight now
- new track rods
- new drag
- new steering coupling
- new swivel pin, twice, febi not cheapo
- new damper
- even a replacement second beam, though this was due to the fact the old one was rotten!

all parts quality, meyle and febi

Though a little better, I can still move my steering wheel with 8 to 12 inches of play! Oddly more so to the right rather than the left. Everything looks good under he van, though there is still a very slight up and down on the steering arm!

Any thoughts welcome.

Take care

Jamie

Bizarre.

Have you laid under the bus and watched everything while someone moves the steering wheel back and forth?

Indeed, hence noticing a very slight up and down on center pin, but everything stated is new and still the same issue. Everything looks tight as, confused

Coda said:
Bizarre.

Have you laid under the bus and watched everything while someone moves the steering wheel back and forth?

As said above ^^^ if you have a glamorous assistant or a handsome helper to help identify by being under the bus yourself and letting them move the steering about, it’s usually simple enough to trace back to where the movement starts. Plus I trust nobody for parts so I’d double check everything because ball joints that lasted forty years are now replaced by things that might see the year out if you don’t drive it. :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,, Lots of wind in them wheels helps a lot too :mrgreen:

There is marginal up and down on the centre pin, I will have another and film it. Everything looks great

confused and looked at this issue for so long :/

I’m pretty sure the centre pin shouldn’t move at all. When you rebuilt it, did you put all the various washers in the correct order?

It’s surprising how very little movement in a component becomes a very large movement at the steering wheel end, so this could be the source of your problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are only talking tiny, but worth a double check. I tend to be very thorough with my trusty bentley, but certainly worth a check.

Cheers

Moseley said:
I’m pretty sure the centre pin shouldn’t move at all. When you rebuilt it, did you put all the various washers in the correct order?

It’s surprising how very little movement in a component becomes a very large movement at the steering wheel end, so this could be the source of your problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bring it down the workshop Jamie and I’ll have a look for you. A little bit of play is acceptable (nature of the steering Mechanism & setup) But that much isn’t good.

K@rlos said:
Bring it down the workshop Jamie and I’ll have a look for you. A little bit of play is acceptable (nature of the steering Mechanism & setup) But that much isn’t good.
Thanks buddy it has got our heads scratching lol. It's in bits at the moment. Thanks though mate

Latest posts