Any advice please, Bulk head missing

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

De8oy

Reaction score
Hi all,

Still searching for my Early bay and have come accross a 71 project. Unfortunatly it is missing the bul head area behind the front seats it has been cut out.

I like the look of this project but am put off a little by the missing bulk head. Ive looked at loads of ads and several busses all missing bits but never this area. Is it any thing to worry about? Can it be replaced easily? Will it have caused other problems not being there for a while, with strength or stress on the van?

Is this also where the M code plate is, and if so does it matter if itis missing; and can I find out what it would have had on it when made or get a repro?

The current owner is not sure why the previous owner removed it.

Sorry for all the silly questions but I want to get on the Early bay ladder and liked the look of this one, but dont want to look at something I should stay well away from.

Any advise on this issue would be very much appreciated.

Best regards,

Del

Last time this was discussed general concensus was that bulkhead is not structural. Late westies did away with it and just had two little triangles where seat platforms meet the 'b' pillars.

I'd love a bus without bulkhead as you can have revolving front seats that'll make your bus seem huge inside. Trouble is my 70 is in too good order to start chopping it up - has yet to have an angle grinder or welder taken to it.

If you don't buy it. let me know some details on it will you!

Kind of agree with the above as long as the area has been bolstered usually as mentioned above, fit captain seats or swiveling bases and the van is fecking huge....or you can get the cuts and reinstate them.....

if you want the m plate details just apply for a birth certificate ;) its not necessary its just a detail for us anal old farts :lol:

It can be welded back in by getting a panel from wreckers-make sure the cut is made into body so you can get exact fit.
Otherwise if you have doubts about integrity get some gussets welded into bottom corners.
It would give opportunity for swivel seats in future.

Thanks guys, youve reassured me and put my mind at ease a little!

Its an ebay auction, so will need to see how it fares. Scince this thread they have put a reserve on and it needs a bit of work doing, so might end upbeing priced out!! :roll:

Cheers guys once again.

Latest posts