anyone fitted a turbo?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curly head

Reaction score
just wondering if anyone has fitted a small turbo? t2 etc

i am thinking about it and was wondering what the pitfuls are and if its worth it.

any pics / help would be much appreciated

dan

curly head said:
just wondering if anyone has fitted a small turbo? t2 etc

i am thinking about it and was wondering what the pitfuls are and if its worth it.

any pics / help would be much appreciated

dan

Been toying with the idea myself - i bought a book called turbomania that has some very useful info for turbo charging the vw aircooled engine in it ;)

Araon said:
got the plans for a pulse jet :lol:

Had two of these round the back of the barn a couple of weeks ago
http://wapedia.mobi/en/Daimler-Benz_DB_601" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Unfortunately they "landed" from 25000 feet so need "a little fettling" to get running :lol:

Araon said:
I had a zany plan to build a pulse jet and mount it in the back of my 74 (god rest its sole).....

I imagine you would get a lot of old people diving to the floor as you drove past in it :lol:

The Splitty in the Discovery Series "Campervan Crisis" had an engine fitted with a turbo, albeit one that didn't work very well initially.... due to turbo failure (it was a faulty unit).

Turbo engines are generally lower compression than n/a engines, and the flat 4's, with their low compression ratio lend themselves to being turbo charged. However, you will need to think carefully about your internals if you are going to go forced induction, especially if you are going to ever plan to run high psi/bar. Forged cranks, better oil supply etc. will have to be considered.

If you want a notcieable power increase an engine swap might be the better option? It will work out cheaper in the long run if you want to go turbo route to fit a Subaru motor, although I realise this gets rid of the nice VW motor and the originality....but it depends what you want from your bus.

Every part of the engine will have to be alot more heavy duty to cope with the pressure of a turbo charger. Stronger crank, rods, pistons etc. A turbo grind cam will be needed to, along with external oil cooling ie: an oil cooler, electric fan and a inline thermostat, a full-flow oil filter set-up would be a wise choice also. Don't be to keen to wind up the boost pressure to much, because if you did the expensive internals of the turbo spec motor would become externals if you get my drift........ BANG!!! :lol:

In my opinion, it would be better to build up a well thought though naturally asperated engine. It would cost the same or maybe less than a turbo motor, the advantage would be the reilablity over a turbo charged engine.

Example:
2007cc
dual twin choke Webers or Dell'orto carbs
decent camshaft, rocker shafts and push rods
a good set of cylinder heads like 044 etc
electric fuel pump with a pressuer regulator
Full-flow oil filter system a with external oil-cooler/fan with inline thermostat
4 into 1 exhaust system with something like a twin quite pack or phat boy muffler
:D :D :D

cheers for the advice.

my thoughts were to only run a small turbo on low boost, not a rip snorter. it is only to get me up the hills a bit better and cruise easier.

would i still need to do internal works on such a mild upgrade?

Any forced induction will require serious re-working of the engines components.
A low presure turbo will increase toque, but so will carefull tuning of a none blown engine.

Agree with above, might be better going with a well thought out standard engine or scooby to get the performance you are after with the reliability ;)

This guy has found one you can fit! :lol:

big_turbo.jpg

curly head said:
cheers for the advice.

my thoughts were to only run a small turbo on low boost, not a rip snorter. it is only to get me up the hills a bit better and cruise easier.

would i still need to do internal works on such a mild upgrade?

i reckon you would get away with a very mild turbo, alot would depend on the condition of your motor and how you drive it. I would stiil deffo fit an external oil cooler and full flow filter though. Just to keep it running at a decent temp and to keep the oil clean. Seized turbo's are expensive to fix, the cummins diesel engines i work on are prone to it because the get to hot. There fitted in dustcarts, which as you know don't do alot of moving really but are always revving up to power the compactor, therefore poor air flow though the rad, intercooler and oil cooler = seized or fucked turbos and engines

advice i was given to run a low prussure turbo was to use a renault 5gt turbo carb and an air to air intercooler on a standered engine but not to go above 2 bar

bbsmk1 said:
but not to go above 2 bar

I think you've been misinformed with the 2 Bar pressure (about 29psi) , a stock
aircooled engine can safely cope with 7psi possible upto to about 10psi.

If you have a look on http://www.shoptalkforums.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; you'll find a forum section dedicated
to forced induction of VW aircooled engines.

This is one of the few that I have done so far,
10 psi gt15 turbo,
100hp
Pulls fantastic standard 1600cc

Will have a few more kits ready in the new year at various stages of tune

04971CC3-A897-4130-BD6E-1824A415B923-896-0000006B87183203_zps922af234.jpg

F3815954-2DFC-446D-B504-BD277B1BC280-896-0000006B8E263028_zps5fd88000.jpg

15CA6206-CE5A-4AA5-B545-8B441AB7E615-896-0000006B993EC3FC_zps3816cfd6.jpg

08208C23-7CFB-4B2F-A152-CEC86544667B-896-0000006BA0E9CAED_zps099f2c86.jpg

04857A4F-124E-4ADB-A4BA-F60BA5CE8CB7-896-0000006BAEE56DFB_zps54706f8a.jpg

Latest posts