Anyone fitted a type 4 engine in thier early?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spoonerdtg

Reaction score
So happy 2013

was out in my early westy with some friends who have a 1980 2litre t25 devon and on the hills i was thrashing it in 2nd gear as 3rd was really laboured. And theirs was quite happy to climb the hills due to more torque.

I know thier different beasts engine wise but is a 2 litre type 4 a good upgrade in my van and whats requiref ?

as far as i know alote of work ,i did follow a thread on vzi ,a cupple of guys broke one down and fittet there old tinware on ?????? as i said it was alote of work ,i maybe barking up the wrong tree ,i will try and find the link for you.

I will do this upgrade on my 68 westy in a few weeks.

It's a CU engine converted to upright cooling.
output should be around 110 hp on 40 dells
i has a webcam 163 camshaft in it (appx 284 degrees).
and a few other upgrades.
I will also use a 6 rib gearbox.

By now i have spent about 2800£ in engine and parts.
And as it need to go by a rolling road in the end..i'll guess i spent a bit more.

So if you want to do it right...its not cheap.

Even if the engine is converted to type1 cooling I still need to handle a few tasks.

like:
mount a remote oil cooler
creating an engine bar, as the moustache will not fit the type 4 engine
convert to 8 mm gasoline hoses etc
mount an electric gasoline pump
maybe cut and weld the type 4 heaterboxes and create some tubes for connecting heat to existing heatchannels
etc..

But i look forward to this job :eek:
and the first test ride :mrgreen:

Hopefully i will make a thread about this

btw: i have late bay disc brakes up front, so only upgrade here will be a brake servo.

R.

For the cost of a type 4 motor install you could get your current motor built up to a nice 1776. Much more worth while IMO.

Yes, a 1776 is ok. i allready have one i my bus, it has a set of Kadrons and does bring the bus up to 130 km/h. It is the 3 rib gearbox that sets the limit. At 110 km/h its about 4600 revs.

The type 4 2l engine adds torque! But i would never mate it with a 3rib, if i did'nt have the 6 rib, i would go for a beetle box.

R.

Speak to Paul Miller (company name Harry Harpics 01702 713114) he is currently setting up to sell turbo units to fit type 1 motors, and he is doing them with earlybays in mind, he knows his stuff, and has been building high bhp motor for years, he does all the engine work on Rikki James BD Samba (Buses with attitude).

He does good deals on lowering Buses at the moment, drop off at 9 in the morning and pick up at the end of the day 8)

One of the good guys around that knows his stuff

Latest posts