Type 4 engine in early bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi
Sorry as i know this question has been asked before but i cant seem to find the answer.
I have an early bay crew cab and am looking to fit a type 4 engine and automatic gearbox into it.
My question is it possible to fit an early bay engine bar to a type 4 engine,
if not how do i mount the type 4 engine using the original mounts on the chassis
.lm keeping all the type 4 tinware and changing to upright cooling is not an option,
I dont mind doing a bit of cutting and welding to make it fit but would like to know if there is an easy option.
Thanks in advance
Cheers
Paul

dont do it, too much work cutting the engine bay, and also it wont cool as it should, get a bigger engine or fit twin webber 34 ict,s for a bit more power etc etc

I have a type 4 engine in my 68 Bay. Wasn't hard at all if you have the skills. I did have to make my own tin so the engine would cool properly. Everything fit after a bit of fiddling. The back cross member (under the rear hatch) had to be modified a little; in order to fit the oil filler in.
I made and fitted the tin with the engine in place.

Daisybay said:
I have a type 4 engine in my 68 Bay. Wasn't hard at all if you have the skills. I did have to make my own tin so the engine would cool properly. Everything fit after a bit of fiddling. The back cross member (under the rear hatch) had to be modified a little; in order to fit the oil filler in.
I made and fitted the tin with the engine in place.

Hi
Thanks for that,thats the answer i wanted to hear.
do you have any pictures of the install?
Im interested in what engine bar and mounts you used.
Cheers
Paul

Get some 36 IDF’s and a decent exhaust. Will have plenty of power over stock, sound nicer and cheaper to maintain or repair

K@rlos said:
Get some 36 IDF’s and a decent exhaust. Will have plenty of power over stock, sound nicer and cheaper to maintain or repair

Thought type 4 power was the way forward....got a 1776 with 40 dells and vw speedshop exhaust in my splitty ,always regretted not fitting a type 4
also ive got a bay automatic gearbox and it comes with a Laurie Pettit type 4 engine
attached, dont see any reason to split it up,its a good combination IMO

Latest posts