Anyone got a log burner

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dub boy

Reaction score
Getting a log burner fitted soon and have good supply of logs :D need to get a chainsaw ,was thinking about electric one ,have any of you guys got one

Don't waste your time with an electric one, it probably won't be powerful enough and you'll wish you'd bought something stronger. If you are on a tight budget go for a Ryobi if you have a little more something like a Husquavana or Sthil (about £170)

Ive got an electric one, 2200watt macalister from b&q, about £90, more than good enough to cut pieces upto dinner plate size even wet logs, uses a bit of oil but depends on how much cutting you do i one go, long enough lead as well, are you left handed?, if so they dont make chainsaws for lefties but u can still use one (carefully), im happy with how it performs only problem really you cant take it into the woods and fell a tree!!

Cheers gents ,gunna go with an electric one for now as I've got a lot of logs to cut through the summer ,might be kinder to neighbours :lol: will get a small petrol one later for up the woods.

whichever saw you get - if you don't have it already, do get trained in use and maintenance - especially chain filing and saw handling...and do wear the correct safety gear (helmet, gloves, trousers, boots). 40 years experience in chainsaw handling has shown me many times the value of good training and well-maintained gear...

I am sure you don't need the lecture!! - but many others do...

a Stihl MS231 is a sweet saw for many types of work...

all the best
Rob

My old next door neighbour had an electric one :lol: I was quicker with my axe :roll:

I guess it depends how much you pay. Obviously if you spend a fair bit of wonga on an electric one then it will be better than a cheapo one, but I would aim for petrol every time.

Nothing beats the noise of a petrol chain saw when your "cutting down trees, wearing high heels, suspenders and a bra"

We miss our log burner :cry:

just told the good lady the apple tree is comeing down as my garage is going there :lol: :lol: she said god nothing will be safe if its wood. fed up with gas bills as our house is solid brick .as its summer and neibours are in the garden i think electric one is kinder but in the winter i will get a petrol one ,we have been talking about getting a log burner since we moved here and i think the garage may be in line for one :D

DubBGood2Me said:
My old next door neighbour had an electric one :lol: I was quicker with my axe :roll:

I guess it depends how much you pay. Obviously if you spend a fair bit of wonga on an electric one then it will be better than a cheapo one, but I would aim for petrol every time.

Nothing beats the noise of a petrol chain saw when your "cutting down trees, wearing high heels, suspenders and a bra"

We miss our log burner :cry:
my wife just looked at this post and had a very worried look at the peeps i chat to on here :lol: :lol: :lol:

dub boy said:
just told the good lady the apple tree is comeing down as my garage is going there :lol: :lol: she said god nothing will be safe if its wood. fed up with gas bills as our house is solid brick .as its summer and neibours are in the garden i think electric one is kinder but in the winter i will get a petrol one ,we have been talking about getting a log burner since we moved here and i think the garage may be in line for one :D
Our bills went down from £146 per month down to £108 in the first proper year weve used it, not payed for any wood as endless supply at work, happy dayz

bigdeano said:
dub boy said:
Our bills went down from £146 per month down to £108 in the first proper year weve used it, not payed for any wood as endless supply at work, happy dayz
sounds good to me .our gas and lecky together is £175 a month so will be good to get it down

We've got one, they're great, you might also consider getting a back boiler fitted, much cheaper to do in one hit rather that like we did as a later addition. Unlimited free hot water.

I have an electric chain saw you can have for £20. - Problem is it would cost as much to ship - but if you're going to Volksworld we are probably not too much of a detour...

PM if interested

i bought an electric chain saw from aldi for about 60 quid, oregon blade which is good and its been going fine for five years. they come with a three year warrenty anyway so dont have to worry about burning them out..

+1 for fitting a back boiler if you can even if its just linked to one radiator it makes a big difference

RichardAlexander said:
I have got a Bosch electric one works fine used it to cut up railway sleepers know worries
Wife has bought a Bosch one with her vouchers ,will look into back boiler but chimney isn't very deep

i fitted one about 4 years ago,

12kw free standing as the lower 5 ft of chimney was removed in the past, when its roaring it heats the whole of the lower floor of the house and we dont turn heating on at all, think its halved the gas bills over the time we have had it in,
bought a sweep brush and use drain rods to clean chimney every 3 months when in use, no linner fitted,

have a electric and petrol saw (was the old mans but i've aquired it now ), if you go for petrol then recommend a Stihl one as at least you can get parts for it (which some of the cheeper brands you cant) and they have plenty of power.
just running out of cut wood and will keep going on pallet wood (fire used every night since first bit of cold last year about October) lot of work and messy at times but realy worth it better than watching some of the crap on telly.

dodge6x6 said:
i fitted one about 4 years ago,

12kw free standing as the lower 5 ft of chimney was removed in the past, when its roaring it heats the whole of the lower floor of the house and we dont turn heating on at all, think its halved the gas bills over the time we have had it in,
bought a sweep brush and use drain rods to clean chimney every 3 months when in use, no linner fitted,

have a electric and petrol saw (was the old mans but i've aquired it now ), if you go for petrol then recommend a Stihl one as at least you can get parts for it (which some of the cheeper brands you cant) and they have plenty of power.
just running out of cut wood and will keep going on pallet wood (fire used every night since first bit of cold last year about October) lot of work and messy at times but realy worth it better than watching some of the crap on telly.
WORK :lol: :lol: thats what kids are for ,i have a bus to build :D .fire looks toastie

Just had our first gas bill since installing ours, saved £150 over 3 months which is good and when Vladamir Putin turns the gas supply off we'll be sat here nice and toasty, Upyours Putin :lol:

nobby81 said:
Just had our first gas bill since installing ours, saved £150 over 3 months which is good and when Vladamir Putin turns the gas supply off we'll be sat here nice and toasty, Upyours Putin :lol:
Funny you should say that as I said to the wife if people piss him off he will shut the gas down or charge silly money for it

Our only heating in the house is a Stovax Huntingdon 40 log burner, it runs 24 hours a day on hardwood.
I bought a Husky 550 xp saw and just keep an eye out for fallen trees on the side of the road.
The saw has more than paid for it's self as we have never had to buy any fire wood.
Can't beat heating the house for free, last week end I got all this from a fallen tree:

Latest posts