Anyone made their own poptop canvas?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olly the Ozbus

Reaction score
Ello folks,

Just wondering whether anyone has made their own poptop canvas? Mine is nearing the end of the road Aussie campmobile roof) and I'm wincing at the cost of a replacement given that they're not that complicated in shape.....any thoughts on materials- seen acyrylic canvas and duck canvas that might do the trick but interested to hear peoples experiences 8)

Cheers,

Oz

Hi, I know an old couple who make all there own awnings,roof tents roof rack covers etc.I will ask them next time I see them which materials they have found to be best and where they buy it from.I think if you can read a tape measure and use a sewing machine you`ll be ok,at least you have a patern with your old canvas.
Phil.

Check out the aussie thread below. Keep in mind the clown in question is a very talented man and is now working for one of the most recognised upholsteror in the country. Doesn't mean it can't be done without following his instructions.

http://forums.kombiclub.com/showthread.php?t=4933&highlight=canvas" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for the replies chaps- that thread on the Aussie forum looks a great help and all tips on materials gratefully recieved, cheers :mrgreen:

Hi Oz, just to add we had a leaky dormy canvas and had new one made in 3 colours with window for about £370. Dont know where your located but we are by the coast and went to a sail makers, material is stupidly watertight, guy even jet washed it with me behind it and i stayed bone dry. Woth a punt will send pic when its finally fully attached, he took the template off the old roof so perfect fit too.

I got a new canvas for mine from JustKampers, was £150 which is alot cheaper than anywhere else I think.

Karl

gwyn1971 said:
Hi Oz, just to add we had a leaky dormy canvas and had new one made in 3 colours with window for about £370. Dont know where your located but we are by the coast and went to a sail makers, material is stupidly watertight, guy even jet washed it with me behind it and i stayed bone dry. Woth a punt will send pic when its finally fully attached, he took the template off the old roof so perfect fit too.

Cheers mate, there are also a couple of sailmakers on the south coast who also do pop-top canvases but I was hoping to do it cheaper by having a go myself- Mrs Ozbus is carrying a passenger at the mo so hoping to avoid shelling out big money for anything :D

Westy Richardson said:
I got a new canvas for mine from JustKampers, was £150 which is alot cheaper than anywhere else I think.

Karl

Cheers matey but as it's an aussie-only conversion, no-one sells them off-the-peg...also, I kinda boycotted JK after they stiffed me on a pair of brake calipers :lol:

Contact Necro in that thread I listed above. Here is his facebook page. I'm sure he will be able to make you one or stear you in the right direction. https://www.facebook.com/Dub.Art.Kustom.Volkswagen.Upholstery" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have a look at his wheel covers while you're at it. They're amazing.

Aussie pop top canvas' are readily available from Oz. Sizes vary slightly but you can get around that with some measurements. Around $400 AUD plus postage.

My dad used to make them often when I was at Aussie Rod's doing the import busses there. I think there are two styles of campmobile roof though so would need to double check which yours has.

My old man has a signwriting business and sews banners in house, so the canvases were made out of waterproof, rip stop bannergrade material. If your interested I could sort a price out for you.

Fitting is a bit fiddly but not impossible, just a case of trapping it between the roof and the stainless strips and dropping the pop rivets in and then trimming off the excess. Better with a couple of people. If you could get the van to Newark I'm sure Rod would take on the job of fitting it.

When I got my bows I went to my dad's workshop for a day and a half and ended up with a very natty tilt
2011-06-19_15-39-34_93.jpg

Was considerably harder than the pop top canvases though :lol:

aspro said:
Contact Necro in that thread I listed above. Here is his facebook page. I'm sure he will be able to make you one or stear you in the right direction. https://www.facebook.com/Dub.Art.Kustom.Volkswagen.Upholstery" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have a look at his wheel covers while you're at it. They're amazing.

Aussie pop top canvas' are readily available from Oz. Sizes vary slightly but you can get around that with some measurements. Around $400 AUD plus postage.

Cheers for the tip-off bud, trtying to get things sorted out a bit closer to home (that guy is in Oz isn't he?) but that dude has serious talent -love that Beatles spare wheel cover 8)

ProfessorWheeto said:
My dad used to make them often when I was at Aussie Rod's doing the import busses there. I think there are two styles of campmobile roof though so would need to double check which yours has.

My old man has a signwriting business and sews banners in house, so the canvases were made out of waterproof, rip stop bannergrade material. If your interested I could sort a price out for you.

Fitting is a bit fiddly but not impossible, just a case of trapping it between the roof and the stainless strips and dropping the pop rivets in and then trimming off the excess. Better with a couple of people. If you could get the van to Newark I'm sure Rod would take on the job of fitting it.

When I got my bows I went to my dad's workshop for a day and a half and ended up with a very natty tilt
2011-06-19_15-39-34_93.jpg

Was considerably harder than the pop top canvases though :lol:

You have a pm Prof 8)

Latest posts