Apart from the chrome trim and the clock.......

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
side trim, opening 1/4's in the rear and front, deluxe window trim with deluxe rubbers and the trim level inside, the rest are just dealership add on's and extra's

there are differences between a Euro and US deluxe though, the US had chrome opening 1/4's windows not steel like the Euro ones

alex4057 said:
side trim, opening 1/4's in the rear and front, deluxe window trim with deluxe rubbers and the trim level inside, the rest are just dealership add on's and extra's

there are differences between a Euro and US deluxe though, the US had chrome opening 1/4's windows not steel like the Euro ones

Plus they also had Chrome trim on the front grill.

Full headliner, and shiny interior door and window winder handles.

The arm rest vents faetured on all deluxes but were also a feature on non deluxe micro busses. The euro deluxes had bumper trims but the Americans normally had overriders due to their impact laws.
I think locking engine lids might have been a deluxe feature though not sure.
The sliding sunroof was an option on Deluxes as were the opening quarters on the rears, there are one or two out there that came with sunroofs but no rear quarter windows.

According to the Molenaar bible:
The Deluxe bus had a number of interesting extras. In April 1968 the steel sliding roof was introduced chassis no. 248133164 onwards. It was standard on the Deluxe until 1974.
Other standard extras were clock in dashboard, ventilation windows in cabin, rubber strips on bumpers, guard rails behind rear window, on rear bench and rear side window on the right (also on left if spare tyre located in cabin).
No deluxe vehicle was complete without a chrome set, including vw logo and strip around the windows, strips around the belt line, rim around fresh air-inlet, 68-69 trim ring in wheels.

61 stu said:
Plus chrome trim on the rear interior panels if its a SA import :mrgreen:

I got that trim on mine (well the panels that are original) and its a uk bus. Im fairly sure that it was standard on the 71 and 72 year busses or possibly unique to sunroof models.

wibbler said:
61 stu said:

I got that trim on mine (well the panels that are original) and its a uk bus. Im fairly sure that it was standard on the 71 and 72 year busses or possibly unique to sunroof models.

Really, didnt know that, there was me trying to sound knowledgable :lol:

wibbler said:
61 stu said:

My 72 dormobile has them as well ;)

Loxy said:
wibbler said:
61 stu said:

My 72 dormobile has them as well ;)

:lol: now i just look stupid, cheers guys ;)

well no-one has mentioned the true test of whether its a "true deluxe or not".In between the bulheads theres a small air vent that meets the cargo floor.If you have a genuine deluxe then this fixing strip will be chrome instead of rusty or black :roll: :roll: :roll: whatever scott ;) oh and don`t forget the genuine chrome sliding door mechanism chrome u bracket...another overlooked commodity/irk

scott wilson said:
well no-one has mentioned the true test of whether its a "true deluxe or not".In between the bulheads theres a small air vent that meets the cargo floor.If you have a genuine deluxe then this fixing strip will be chrome instead of rusty or black :roll: :roll: :roll: whatever scott ;) oh and don`t forget the genuine chrome sliding door mechanism chrome u bracket...another overlooked commodity/irk

All present and correct :mrgreen:

And no ones mentioned the true test.....................check the M plate and it will tell you IF its a Deluxe (im sure yours is Jay if i remember correctly)
It will also tell you what "Deluxe" goodies where on it when new. If they arent on the plate then they werent on the bus.

I suppose dealer fitted extras wont be included in this but that applys to all buses not just deluxe, i mean back in the day you could buy a panel van and have chrome belt line fitted from the options list if you wished. Deluxes where mainly an American thing (too costly in UK and Europe) so they would have been special orders mainly so the goodies will be on the M plate.

Also remember that westys also had many of the "Deluxe" fittings as standard. (chrome opening 1/4 lights, chrome inner door handels)

Its a mine field, much the same as today really. Go into your local VW garage and buy a Golf................

Which trim package would you like Sir and have you seen our available options...........etc etc etc. :roll:

If you like the shinney bits, fit all the ones you need or like (if you can A find them and B afford them!!!)
On a personnel note about options from my own experiance...........the odometer is a must have that gets used all the time and its always nice to know the time but ambulance fans are not really that practical. ;) ;) ;)

The Bay Window Deluxe was a direct replacement for the Split screen Samba. To me a Samba aint a Samba if it aint got a rag top and a Deluxe aint a Deluxe if it aint got a slider. All the other stuff is just so everyday.......the sunroof makes it special. Just my two pennath

are you sure the sunroof was standard and not an option? my 71 microbus is definitely a deluxe but no sunroof.... :? it was part of the tourist program and was shipped out to So Cal in 71. it does have the chrome slider U hinge though.

Seen quite a few deluxes without sunroofs, must have been an option though as far as I know there is no M code for a sunroof :shock:
My M plate says genuine Deluxe ;) cant be many UK sunroof busses around.
Talking of SA busses, was that funny step thing on the slider unique to that part of the world?

Latest posts