Are 72's more rusty?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin & Muttley

Reaction score
I've been reading one of my VW bus books and it states (with some confidence) that 1972 buses were more rusty than other years - is this true?
Is it another reason to feel special about my bus? lol

No idea mate.

With the beetles though a lot of people say about the super 1303's being made out of shit metal therefore causing them to rust quicker :?: :? :!:

I read that somewhere too, The Custom Bus book?
Mines a 72 but is rust free never welded, hoping it stays that way as well :D
72 is also the most common year for campers, so maybe there just appears to be more rusty 72s around??

yep read the same thing too in one of the bay transporter books - it was the year of peak production but never seen any real evidence for it .. (I used to own an imported '72 ex-dutch army bus ...)

My 72 looks like it's got no rust but has been resprayed in the last year. It has been patched around and about the usual places (front arches/seatbelt mounts) but the old fellah has a belly pan and after looking at some of the horror stories of what may lurk beneath, I may never remove it and simply live in blissful denial.

from what ive heard vw bought a lot of steel from russia in 71/72 and it was lower quality than they usually used, hence the fact that you either find a good 72 bus or a really bad one.
this might be an urban legend like "a porsche motor fits straight in mate" of it might be that there are more 72s on the road and being restored as it was the highest production year. :)

ALL! vws are rusty, if they are not at the moment they will be :lol: :lol:

I have been told, rightly or wrongly, that at some point in the 70s VW started using a lighter gauge steel in their body panels, but I can't see how that would make them rust more.

Spoke to a guy yesterday whos dad used to import them in to the UK back in the day. He said that his dad had once said that "this new lot of buses are not as good as they used to be!" apparently he said the metal looked like it had been changed??

Gonna need old Poirot to sort zis one! :lol:

i'm currently welding a 73 911 RS its fairly sound but the steal on it is pissy thin and yesturday i had an old boy telling me the metal was crap in the 70's cos it was mixed with scrape and then i swithed off can't tell ya the rest i'm affraid

Latest posts