As the Pointer Sisters said...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So a little update, I dropped the bus off at Laurie's last weekend and then drove down in the car today to give him a hand building up the engine and getting it in the bus. This is a 1955cc waterboxer cranked T1. New case, 90.5 B&Ps, new heads, C35 cam, 215mm forged flywheel, BMD pulleys with MDS bolts, twin 36 dells and am fitting a Magajolt ignition. The crank pulley is machined at the back and a 36-1 triggerwheel is bonded in place. Crank sensor is totally hidden. The red thingy you can see is the vac plenum to stop pulsing signals. We built it up today and fitted it. Tomorrow we will finish the fitting of the full flow filter and VS exhaust and get it running !

tysaju7u.jpg

ere2aqar.jpg

u8yjy9e4.jpg

py4a5u2a.jpg

abahe7ez.jpg

9adyra6y.jpg

apery4ub.jpg

esuhy6uz.jpg

8ysyjemu.jpg

e4a4e9aj.jpg

y6etuhys.jpg

More tomorrow.

Jon

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

Very nice. 8)
Bet you can't wait to get this bad boy running :mrgreen:

Whats the Magajolt ignition set-up then??

And here it is..

[youtube]l9I6Yx1tTX8[/youtube]

I running the standard dizzy for now, got to re-do my trigger wheel as it was not secured well enough. Will update with a full how to guide.

Jon

Today I finished off farting about with the Megajolt ignition system.
I had a bit of a set back previously as I had bonded the trigger wheel to the front pulley, but this came lose and was damaged beyond repair (luckily not taking my new engine with it!). I spoke to Mario at "thedubshop.net" and he told me how to fix the trigger wheel on with some small screws, which I did today, and also bonded on with epoxy for good measure.

I bolted the pulley on and then swapped the plug lads over onto the Megajolt and fired him up, but it ran like a sack of fire crackers. the problem was the VW firing order is different to Ford, so I had to swap a couple of leads to get the 1-4-3-2 order, then I needed to load a new ignition map that is a bit softer.

When he was running smooth I decided it was time to whip out the old dizzy and replace it with my blank, so I am no longer running a dizzy or coil on my bus.
We went for a drive and I have to say it has a load more torque at the low end and pulls oh so smooth. I'll but playing with the map in a few days to get a little more advance and see where we get. At this time I am a happy chap, the bus pulls like a train up the hills in 3rd and 4th, 1st gear is almost useless now though :)

Here are a couple of vids for you, please excuse the quality, it was a cracking day here and the iPhone does not cope with contrast too well.

This shows the engine bay layout, no dizzy or coil, a Ford Fiesta Coil pack, EDIS and the Red thing is my vacuum balance plenum to stop the vac signal pulsing.
[youtube]KzwePVZ_QTQ[/youtube]

In this one you can see the ignition map and the Advance point moving around as I rev the engine :)
[youtube]0OZKD-vJNPw[/youtube]

If anyone is interested in fitting a Megajolt, PM me for details if you get stuck. You can get more info on autosportlabs.com

Cheers,

Lard,
That looks a fun project, but not something I would want to take on at this time, unless I could just buy a pre sorted system.
Would be cool to have the mega jolt tuning SW running from a front display though :)

Will you do any updates, interested to see where you got to buddy.

The van is running sweet, not sure the neighbours will be too impressed with the noise though, the vs exhaust rumbles nicely :)

Well, first weekend away with the girls. New engine running very well. Carbs need setting up better but not to bad. Clutch is dragging a bit, may be a bent fork. 1st is tough to get when warmed up, good job it will pull away in 2nd fully loaded...

I put together an 043 SVDA map for the megajolt. It is pretty close, may need a little tweaking on a rolling road but has huge midrange torque, pulls up motorway hills in 4th and some very steep hills in 3rd.

ezamyhy3.jpg

ezymu5yn.jpg

ytyde3a8.jpg

2ybama5a.jpg

gajyra9u.jpg

ubahe5y4.jpg

u4a8usyq.jpg

a5yde5a8.jpg

yvu9ehy5.jpg

Next is Biggar!

Spend a bit if time today setting up the idle on the van. I recently swapped the 58 idle jets for 60s and then set about getting a nice steady idle using the bypass screws and finally setting the ignition advance on the megajolt to get me to around 900 rpm.

Next I finished installing the light bars so I can have some funky mood lighting:

ypedajed.jpg

ujy7azat.jpg

4amyredu.jpg

aremy4e8.jpg

Finally put a few stickers on the engine lid...

5u8uve9e.jpg

4umezymy.jpg

Next will be polishing the wheels and maybe some new shocks later in the summer. :)

Shit, I have not up dated this for ages. Life just gets too busy to sit at the 'puter.

So, ignition is all running sweet now. If anyone needs help or advice on a mega jolt let me know.

Since then I added a Huco 2.5 psi fuel pump from eurocarb (thanks Matt). I did take the precaution of adding an inertia cutout switch from a Rover (£10 from eBay) and this feeds the pump and the fuel cut out solenoid so all fuel stops if I have a bump.

ehumabu5.jpg

7u7unane.jpg

e2u7uzej.jpg

me6emebe.jpg

yvedybyd.jpg

Then next on the agenda was fitting one of Gadgets tow bars, a substantial but if kit but needed a little fettling to fit my van.

I was running a hidden pipe Vintagespeed Superflow, but this will not work.

baru2ype.jpg

So I sold that and ordered a standard pipe Superflow system from Dan the man.

bybu6u3u.jpg

And fitted:

5aru8uza.jpg

yjybaje2.jpg

The tow bar is wired with 7 core cable, terminated with piggy back spade connectors to make it easy to instal and remove if needed.

All this because I bought this little gem :

nu5yva4e.jpg

I'll be lobbing on a set of EB rear lights to match mine and then a coat of L90D.

And to finish this post off a few photos of us using Bart this year. Will be away next weekend for the final weekend out before winter upgrade time.

ada4unum.jpg

6ymy2y7u.jpg

unyvuqe8.jpg

8ujume8u.jpg

e6edyqun.jpg

ema8epe2.jpg

2e8ybyda.jpg

One from when the idler wheel bearing failed...

bysydura.jpg

The recovery chap only had one arm and was a star, absolutely amazing and did a proper recovery job.

Bearings and bolt replaced now, thanks to eBay !

my6uve3y.jpg

And a few of the other toy:

egu4eha2.jpg

ynu3epyj.jpg

da2eqe6a.jpg

7yremeju.jpg

tu4u6yru.jpg

Caterham is for sale now :(

Well that us it for now. Winter projects include painting the tin wear, engine bay, wiring in a stereo, new internal panels and rust proofing cavity waxing..

Trailer resto started..
Get stripping:

4uju6ada.jpg

y2y3ezyp.jpg

Removed the old paint and rust to find this :

ryjequmu.jpg

And

yqahe7y6.jpg

So will strip it down and build a new frame, keeping the axle and leaf spring mounts.

7e4yzumu.jpg

Then onto the box...

Latest posts