August 1967 doka

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busfreak

Reaction score
Hi :)

Currently I have the opportunity to buy a 1968 double cab. I just had a look at it in person today. It is in poor condition. Basically the entire chassis needs to be rebuilt, as well as other lower parts like sills, floors, etc..
The more up i looked, the better it got. But what really scared me off is the bad condition of the chassis parts.

The vehicle is disassembled, incomplete and without papers (which woudn’t be that much of a problem in my country, in case i fix the car as the VIN is present and it was registered here before).

And yet i am still very tempted - here is why: it is from the first month of bay production, August 1967! As it seems, even mid August.

As mentioned, not all parts are present, but the car will come with lots of parts: both axles (currently mounted, so the car is moveable), gearbox, an engine, steering gear, drop gates as well as lots of boxes with small items. But of course i'll for sure have to go hunting for many other parts like rear seat bench, glas panes and especially the "68 only" parts.

What are your thoughts? What is it worth - or let's say what should i offer for such a project.
Of course i am aware that i need to have big pockets in case of restoration.. but for now i am just curious on your feedback as i am still tempted to buy it.

Thanks,
Alex

A few pics from underneath. 😬

Attachments

• IMG_6180.jpeg
    IMG_6180.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6182.jpeg
    IMG_6182.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6181.jpeg
    IMG_6181.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6183.jpeg
    IMG_6183.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6188.jpeg
    IMG_6188.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6189.jpeg
    IMG_6189.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6191.jpeg
    IMG_6191.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6192.jpeg
    IMG_6192.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6193.jpeg
    IMG_6193.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6196.jpeg
    IMG_6196.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6197.jpeg
    IMG_6197.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6198.jpeg
    IMG_6198.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6199.jpeg
    IMG_6199.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Hi Alex,

I've looked at the photos (especially 6181 and 6182, with the wood/steel support) - o_O ; Think I'm with @ozziedog - Looks to be a major restoration for that bus.

Yes, it might sound good if it's a 67 with original paint etc, but you've really got to ask yourself how big a project this is likely to be...
Are you planning on doing the chassis replacement work yourself?
Or you already know someone who will do the chassis work for you?
Can you get the all the chassis/floor parts?

You are basically cutting out and replacing the whole chassis, plus some sills and floor?!

On top of that there's the running gear/suspension/brakes/steering to buy/build/fit. Add that all up - it ain't cheap.

And then after that you mention hunting for other rare 68 only parts? Oh, to cap it off it's a double cab aswell...😬

So is it doable? Yes, check out Hayburner magazine if you want inspiration - They've covered a few split buses in the past that were practically dug out of the ground to be restored;
But be under no illusion - unless you WANT a challenge or really-really want this VW you kind of have to accept that you'd have to invest a huge amount of time/labour/enthusiasm and a lot of money. And then definitely add some more.

Just be realistic on what you'd need to complete to get this bus to the standard you want it to be - Good luck what ever you decide.

All the best,
Steve

Hi Alex,

I've looked at the photos (especially 6181 and 6182, with the wood/steel support) - o_O ; Think I'm with @ozziedog - Looks to be a major restoration for that bus.

Yes, it might sound good if it's a 67 with original paint etc, but you've really got to ask yourself how big a project this is likely to be...
Are you planning on doing the chassis replacement work yourself?
Or you already know someone who will do the chassis work for you?
Can you get the all the chassis/floor parts?

You are basically cutting out and replacing the whole chassis, plus some sills and floor?!

On top of that there's the running gear/suspension/brakes/steering to buy/build/fit. Add that all up - it ain't cheap.

And then after that you mention hunting for other rare 68 only parts? Oh, to cap it off it's a double cab aswell...😬

So is it doable? Yes, check out Hayburner magazine if you want inspiration - They've covered a few split buses in the past that were practically dug out of the ground to be restored;
But be under no illusion - unless you WANT a challenge or really-really want this VW you kind of have to accept that you'd have to invest a huge amount of time/labour/enthusiasm and a lot of money. And then definitely add some more.

Just be realistic on what you'd need to complete to get this bus to the standard you want it to be - Good luck what ever you decide.

All the best,
Steve

Not another bloody Steve, it’s like a bleedin plague, Steves and Simons

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,I’m a Steve too, Stephen actually means King of Kings :cool:

If you can weld, or can afford to pay someone to weld, then yeah, do it.

Hi guys,
thank you for all your wise input. Currently my inital enthusiasm settled again. I always knew that it would be a massive effort - speaking both of work and financial ressources) to bring this double cab back on the streets but also was tempted to buy it if it just was cheap enough, to maybe store it away until i find someone who welds it for a reasonable price - or it just gains on value..... even though the condition is that bad.
We'll see the.. this bay is up for sale for a few months now and if it doesn't sell soon, the owner will most likely put it into auction. I'll keep an eye open for it.
Or is anybody here who might be interested in this crew cab?

Latest posts