AutoCraft Eng TowBar

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve B

Reaction score
Looking at buying one of these, simply because they offer the option still to mount a bolt-on cycle carrier bracket. I have a modified Watling one (clears a 4-1 merged header) but will be changing exhaust too so thought I'd tidy the rear up.

Question is, I read on here that this new towbar means the bumper sits more proud. Is the case? Anyone on here got one?

Many thanks.

TBH I cant comment on Autocrafts towbar .......

BUT I know mine don't alter the postion of the rear bumper at all, Mine also use all the stock location points and are Exact 100% copies of the Westfalia originals , BUT they are NOT stressed /abused/ damaged like the westfalia originals as there Brand new , made 100% in the UK.......

Quality British craftsmanship ;)

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=65262" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks

Gadget ;)

Gadget Boy said:
TBH I cant comment on Autocrafts towbar .......

BUT I know mine don't alter the postion of the rear bumper at all, Mine also use all the stock location points and are Exact 100% copies of the Westfalia originals , BUT they are NOT stressed /abused/ damaged like the westfalia originals as there Brand new , made 100% in the UK.......

Quality British craftsmanship ;)

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=65262" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks

Gadget ;)

Yours would be my first weapon of choice Gadget, but I need one with a bolt-on towbar, so I can fix my cycle rack plate to it, and also lash my two dogs to the plate too. Yours being a straight-through fixed swan-neck type means I can't do it on yours.

I think the AutoCraft one is therefore the next best thing, and looks better than a Watling. Also, AutoCraft produce some decent quality stuff, so should imagine this will be too.

I just can't find any threads on here about it - I'm sure someone said their bumper sat a little proud after it was fitted.

Cheers.

I would have loved one of gadgets towbars too, but exhaust gets in the way :?

So, I went the autocraft route, really well made bar, but does mean the bumper sits back about 20-25mm further back than normal here's a post from my thread :mrgreen:

68_early_bay said:
Finished the to today 8) first thing I noticed that some of the bolts supplied with the kit were too short, a quick call to autocraft and they saw the problem and sent me out the correct ones the following day 8)

D479619F-AA6B-4E21-8EFE-F09B44016708_1.jpg

E4E7BF68-AD1D-4546-9A84-521E435D4113_2.jpg

44ABFB16-75CF-4B4C-B9D2-BE69C1D3F5AA.jpg

5F727C38-79C0-4B79-A886-AD952B36DD3A_3.jpg

7015BD16-E8A7-4CD2-B29D-D177AEFDE9D6_1.jpg

Now it's all bolted up one thing I have noticed is that the bumper now sits about 25mm further back than it used to, I can't blame the vs zorst for this as even if it wasn't fitted I wouldn't be able to move it back on the adjustment as the bracket is already nearly touching the removable valance , one thing for sure is that you would be very unlucky to bend it :lol: I've seen tow bars on 4x4's made out of thinner plate :lol:

I have also done the electrics, here's a few pics for you Paul on how I did it ;) :mrgreen:

9D9EF5A5-805C-46EB-A3C6-6FB2E72CF3F1_1.jpg

44B05307-8032-481F-8BFE-B36841ADE96A_1.jpg

9E92407E-528F-4EFE-85C9-7F82E5430625.jpg

I used piggy back spades so that I didn't have to cut into my vans electrics 8)

And a dia off Google for the socket

FE775689-EF55-444D-938B-18B40E46A316.png

8)

Yep they do indeed sit further away but like you say, you can bolt on your cycle rack so small compromise and you get what you want.

If I could have afforded a gadget tow bar I would have gone that route but the autocraft bars are well made and fit a treat!

Both tow bars are quality kit, but at the end of the day a towbar looks like shit on any vehicle. Saying that, I do like the fact that autocraft have now released a bar with detacheable tow ball and hidden electrics. Bit pricey at 360 pounds.

aspro said:
Both tow bars are quality kit, but at the end of the day a towbar looks like shit on any vehicle. Saying that, I do like the fact that autocraft have now released a bar with detacheable tow ball and hidden electrics. Bit pricey at 360 pounds.

My Gadget towbar looks the tits! And definitely not shit!
Except when I smash my shin into the swan neck, then its shit! :lol:

aspro said:

Looking at the AutoCraft one, you buy the bar, and the ends are interchangeable, so you can upgrade to detachable in the future for a small bit extra.

I just don't know if I like that 'gap' it creates.

Still, it looks better than my current one!

dazza1975 said:
Yep they do indeed sit further away but like you say, you can bolt on your cycle rack so small compromise and you get what you want.

If I could have afforded a gadget tow bar I would have gone that route but the autocraft bars are well made and fit a treat!

You couldn't do me an exact measure of the gap at some point could you? Just so I can compare to my current gap?

Would be much appreciated.

My Gadget towbar looks the tits! And definitely not shit!
Except when I smash my shin into the swan neck, then its shit! :lol:[/quote]

How many times have I done that :lol: :lol:

Latest posts