awning track

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busdiver

Reaction score
ok so be prepared for loads of this sort of question, as we move on with the bus rebuild trying to "think ahead" a bit. and use you good people as sounding boards.

Awning track would you or would you not fix one with rivets (all seem to be alli)to the gutter. i know there are drawbacks to "originality" and looks if it was attached before painting and was properly done and prepped and painted the same as the roof would not be overly obvious. i love my old girl as original as poss but likewise need her to be as practical as poss.

i as going to mount it on the outside edge of the gutter, that way i can run it past the back leg on the roof rackover the passenger door. did think about roof mount but started to sweat at the thought of drilling holes in my roof.

When I used to have an awning I attached it with a plastic strip that simply clipped onto the gutter and was held in place by the roof tension pulling the awning away from the bus. No drilling and no paint damage. They must still sell the stuff.

Trikky2 said:
When I used to have an awning I attached it with a plastic strip that simply clipped onto the gutter and was held in place by the roof tension pulling the awning away from the bus. No drilling and no paint damage. They must still sell the stuff.

Yes...I've always used one just like this....
http://www.justkampers.com/camper-van-motorhome-and-camping-accessories/awnings-sun-canopies/awnings-accessories/awning-channel-750mm-figure-of-8-double-channel-strip.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I use this too. No issues with it at all, and keeps your bus 'as was'.

Sent from my arse using Tapatalk

Its called figure of 8 and readily available from large camping shops

Another alternative are suction clamps available from Just Kampers and the like

yeah have used the figure of 8 but wether it's my awning i struggle to get decent tension, awning is quite tall and pulls more up than sideways and always get bloody drips through the join so can't have sliding door open if it's raining, not my prefered option to put a strip on the gutter but other than new awning............................................

I hate the figure of 8 as it always comes adrift for me in high winds :( i use the awning clamps and use back up silicone pads so they dont mark or scratch. Also makes for a nice tight fit :shock: ;) :mrgreen:

easy said:
I hate the figure of 8 as it always comes adrift for me in high winds :( i use the awning clamps and use back up silicone pads so they dont mark or scratch. Also makes for a nice tight fit :shock: ;) :mrgreen:

Yes the figure of eight design relies on the awning flap being the same height or slightly lower than the bus as well as tension between the two. If the awning is taller (or the bus has been lowered) then its not going to be as secure I guess.

Never had a problem with mine coming loose even in windy conditions.

That said, clamps are going to be secure no matter what the angles are so will work better across a wider range of situations.

Hi Busdiver, my Australian, '72 Bay with a swagman poptop has an awning rail fitted. "that will be handy" we thought...
20140902_160902_zpsi16hibox.jpg

However, after removing the headlining we found this;

20140902_160935_zpstybahbue.jpg

20140902_160943_zpswviazgch.jpg

Whichever route you take with fixing your rail, please ensure the fixings are nice & tight and take care to rust-proof all your work.

Cheers
Gaz

Pole and clamps for me too. Tried the figure of 8 and though I could get good tension on maybe one, I couldn't get all tight.

For me it has to be the original style westy rubber gutter seal. I'd bought mine from Holland in the past, but check out westfalia spares uk who traded at Graham's show earlier in the year at Stratford. OK, you have to sew it to your awning edge ideally with an industrial sewing machine or with time and patience you can hand sew with an Awl, but so worth it. £24 per metre, has never failed me yet either on the Khyam awning or on the canopy

46380291-187x140.jpg

Forgot all about this stuff. Saw it on a westy canopy a couple of years ago. Think it will be the way forward a guy had his canopy up at run to the hills is stupidly windy but remained attached all the time

Latest posts