Back to bare metal?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James26

Reaction score
Hi there,

Got myself a project a van a few months ago and spent some time sorting the brakes out so i can take it for an mot - probably get a list the length of my arm :lol: - then im planning on teaching myself how to weld, and trying to have a bash myself.

As with any bus ive got obvious bits needing addressing that are rotten right through but to identify any other bad patches or filled in parts, is going back to bare metal my only option?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'll develop an eye for what's rotten under the paint, trust me!

I wouldn't go back to bare metal in areas that obviously don't need it. If the original paint has lasted 43+ years, it's probably pretty good and painting over it will be a longer lasting solution than painting over bare metal- The quality of resprays varies quite a lot- sometimes you won't know until about a year after if you've done a really good job or a shit one :)

Find the rot, wire brush it off with a knot brush in a grinder, and make sure that you're always welding to good thick metal.

Cheers man, so i will still get a good paint job without removing all the old paint ? or maybe even paints haha, not sure if its been resprayed before.

I think I'm right in saying that you need a skim of filler over the bare metal to get a good finish, so you will end up creating more work for yourself, and trust me, filling and sanding ain't no fun :!:

Yeah suppose your right haha. Thanks for the advice guys

Latest posts