Banding steel wheels

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike202

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there any point to banding your wheels? I can't seem to find much info on this subject. I have standard steelies on my westy, would adding a bit of extra width help with stability in the wind etc, or is it purely about looking 'more cool' :lol:

I realise that adding an inch to the width of the rim doesn't widen the tyre tread, but I beleive that late bays have slightly wider wheels than earlybays. Why did VW do that? :?

Does anyone have any views on this?

Hi Mike
Usually to fill the arches and get a good offset, not sure it would help with stability but any extra width you can get on the road helps, as far as I'm aware late bays were not fitted with wider rims and certain the tyre size stayed the same.

On an early with flat arches you would struggle to band by much more than an inch anyway but would allow you to run wider tyres, I run 195's on the back but am on aftermarket alloys which are 5.5"

I’ve recently had a set of 15” beetle 4J steels banded, but it is purely for cosmetic reasons. We both like the steel wheel look, but 15s definitely suit a lowered bus better than 14s IMO. However, I was keen to avoid any issues with getting the rears on and off, so have gone for a modest 1.5” extra at the rear, and about 0.5” at the front. Will be getting them powder coated and tyres mounted at some point before camping season begins!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies guys. I take it that for my bus then there would be no advantage handling-wise to getting them done then.
(1970 stock beam and wheels. Stock height.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts