Bay aerial fitting

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe.skids

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 72 crossover bay and am currently changing the look of my late front panel to look original i.e. Remove the indicators from the top and cut in the lower ones.

My question is on an original Bay where was the aerial for the radio located. At the moment I have one on the roof above the windscreen and want to remove it. If it didn't have one fitted what are my options???? I like the ones fitted to the front panel but any other options????

Thanks
Joe

I have taken mine away from the out side totally and put it behind the passengers seat, reception is great and you dont get any nasty sticnking chavses ripping it off! 8)

easy said:
I have taken mine away from the out side totally and put it behind the passengers seat, reception is great and you dont get any nasty sticnking chavses ripping it off! 8)

Not thought of that idea. You just using a standard external aerial but put it on the inside??? or is it a specific aerial for inside???

Mine is behind the seat as well.
Its just a standard one from Halfords, about 12" tall with a coil springy bit at the bottom. Cost about a tenner.
Reception is spot on and if your lucky like me, there will be a hole pressed into the metal work the correct size for fitting. No drilling!! :D

Pretty much the same as mine, its an old one I had knocking around and mounts in already made holes in the bulk head behind the passenger seat, works like a charm and can be retracted out of site when not in use 8) .

my original aerial fit on the swage line at the bottom nearside corner of the front window. the shaft extends down into the cab behind and to the right of the glove box. it was easy to fit and has a key that allows you to push it right in so its vandal proof.

Peggy01.jpg

you can see it here retracted in.

Johnnyâ„¢ said:
my original aerial fit on the swage line at the bottom nearside corner of the front window. the shaft extends down into the cab behind and to the right of the glove box. it was easy to fit and has a key that allows you to push it right in so its vandal proof.

Peggy01.jpg

you can see it here retracted in.

Hmmm can't see the photo

ProfessorWheeto said:
If your looking to go no aerial and have a bit of cash to spare why not get a DAB headunit?

Don't really want to change the headunit as it is a builtin 7" screen and dvd player

Johnny said:
sorry...

can you see it now?

Yeah can now. That looks cool. Quite liked the dual mounted front panel ones but now think no aerial at all would be better,

i have one of those little rubber ones in white (goes with the VW badge, bumpers and top) - pretty vandal proof and makes my van look like a remote controlled toy!!!

joe.skids said:
ProfessorWheeto said:
If your looking to go no aerial and have a bit of cash to spare why not get a DAB headunit?

Don't really want to change the headunit as it is a builtin 7" screen and dvd player

Ah bling bling :lol:
Been fitting one of them to a customers van today actually, its cool as owt, all rigged up to a reversing camera and we'll probably end up linking it to a tv in the back as well.

ProfessorWheeto said:
joe.skids said:
ProfessorWheeto said:

Ah bling bling :lol:
Been fitting one of them to a customers van today actually, its cool as owt, all rigged up to a reversing camera and we'll probably end up linking it to a tv in the back as well.

Got a 10" drop down monitor as well waiting to get fitted in the rear, just never enough time to get all the jobs done :lol: But you all know that cos this is a VW forum.

Latest posts