Bay Sliding Door Sill Repair

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geoffsurf

Reaction score
Hello

I'm desperately after some help on how to fit and align the centre sliding door sill that I repaired with my new inner sill.

5 years ago I managed to repair the centre sliding door sill by butt welding a new piece of sheet metal just below the sliding door track. Despite being really careful this new piece distorted slightly which makes it hard to line up the inner sill because it is slightly wavey and the angle may not be exact to the original.

I am also repairing the end 6 inches of the very front and rear two top hat sections, but I can't cut the lengths exactly right until I know exactly how the inner sill sits.

I have bought two types of inner sill a cheap repro and a genuine VW one. The genuine one is better but I am still finding that I can't actually get the edge to line up perfectly with the holes that I drilled in the floor to remove the old one. I am therefore flexing the top and bottom edges against the top hat sections at different angles trying to work out how much I should be getting the top edge pushed in.

Ideally I need to see a photo of someone's middle sill with the outter removed and in not too bad a shape.

Here is a picture of my middle sill after my attempted repairs. I thought that I had actually done it correctly in line with the original but coming back to the project 5 years on I am not sure exactly how I planned to join the middle and inner near the front. At the very last bit of the front wide curved bit the lip ends and it then goes vertical but I'm not sure what the original looked like here. My bit is too tight against the inner sill and you can see the centre bit trying to bend when I try to fit the inner sill so something can't be right.

Has anyone got any pictures or can you advise me on how this looks compared to the original and how I can possibly improve mine so that it all fits together properly.

IMG_3013.jpg

see if this will help

http://www.specialpatrolgroup.co.uk/spooky/sills/ns/ns.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks I have checked out that website before and it is very helpful but I still can't really see or find out the answers to the problems I am facing.

Can anyone tell me whether the bottom lip at the front of the middle sill where it is widest is supposed to sit and touch the bottom wide flat surface of the inner sill or not?

Have a look through these
http://s837.photobucket.com/user/marktmaguire/library/VW?sort=3&page=29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts