Baywindow air ride suspension

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haveacamper said:
Do you know who/ where you can get this?

From speaking to Dave at creative the split system may fit straight on a bay. He hasn't tried it but is more than happy to help if someone wants to try.

Haveacamper said:
Cheers jon

I keep thinking that it would be a nice to have, but then for the whole kit you are looking at over 3700notes. That's a lot for suspension which I don't think I can warrant spending even if the bus is finished

Didnt stop you spending a fortune on everything else ;)

What about trying out the monroe air shocks with compressor that give a little bit of lift???
think a couple of people on here have fitted them.

Loxy said:
Haveacamper said:
Cheers jon

I keep thinking that it would be a nice to have, but then for the whole kit you are looking at over 3700notes. That's a lot for suspension which I don't think I can warrant spending even if the bus is finished

Didnt stop you spending a fortune on everything else ;)

I'm not sure I know what you mean. Maybe something to save for after to get it on the road and mot'd and painted and upholstered lol

i did see a full air setup advertised as a kit on a US site (cant remember where), it wasnt a specific vw site but dad all sorts from mustangs to beetles, it was around $2Kish for the whole lot included in a prebuilt box with all the bits, compressor, valves etc. and the two way control unit for up front. Munroe style shocks up front giving a maximum lift of 4 inches and bags at the back. i will see if i can find the link its probably on my work pc but im off for two weeks 8)

Looked good value and the parts were decent quality.

I was thinking about this during my rebuild, but Paul at T2D talked me out of it on the basis that the ride on dropped spindles and adjustable beam / spring plates would be so much better and more adjustable. And IMO he's right.

My understanding is that unless you spend a fortune, Airride only has one decent setting when in drive mode so it's either on and inflated or off (which is when it's on the floor). I might be wrong, but it seems a lot of money just for that... ;)

I suppose its more of a cool thing rather than a necessity, but so lowering, stroker engine etc. Its just where u make the cut off hehe

About the one ride height with air bags, u may be right but that's pretty much what u do when lowering by other means, u find what best suits u. The guys at t2d may be right but they also don't sell air ride lol

Nafe

Think this may be the site Johnny was referring to http://www.airbagit.com/product-p/fbs-vol-53-kit3.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . I like the air horn section :D

I suppose its more of a cool thing rather than a necessity, but so lowering, stroker engine etc. Its just where u make the cut off hehe

And it's all about doing your own thing Nafe, so if it's right for you then go for it :D

......And they do look fooking cool on the ground ;)

I would advise against running air shocks as an air ride system. They are not designed to lift the full weight of your vehicle, rather they are designed to level out a vehicle under heavy load. Not to mention that your shock mounts were not designed to carry all the weight of your bus.

In my opinion, the best looking bolt in front air ride system thus far is the wagenswest setup. It's pricey but seems much safer and better designed than others. You gotta pay to play.

http://www.wagenswest.com/parts.html#airbeams" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.wagenswest.com/images/bag%20bus%206%20da%20one.swf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have air suspension fitted, and the ride is far superior, smoother, and handles a lot better to any other set up I have ever had. My set up is Creative narrowed beam with drop spindles and Air ride Technologies air shocks up front. The rear has adjustable spring plates with Spax shockers and air bags all giving about 7” of lift(driving at any height I want to), at the touch of a button. I also have used the Monroe set up, with Pontiac shocks for 10,000 miles with no problems what so ever, the only problem with the Monroe set up is it takes time to lift and the lift is max 3”.If people on here do there home work, a set up like mine can cost you less than £1000 .
Stuart

Not to knock because I think your bus is sick!

I was talking more about the monroe style air shocks- I just wouldn't run those myself. The air ride technologies air shocks are a much better engineered product which was intended to be used in this manner. I still have concerns about the trailing arms and shock mounts. But maybe the creative beam has these areas beefed up, I don't know. It's just a concern.

Do you have a video of it working?

Back to the monroes- 3" of travel and it takes forever for it to lift? Doesn't seem worth it to me. I'd rather have the full and fast lift of conventional air bags. In my opinion, the whole point of having air ride is to be able to dump it and raise it at the flick of a switch to clear hazards in the road. If it only lifts 3" you still pretty much have to worry about hitting stuff, and not to mention getting it to lift in time to clear things may not be possible at such a slow lift rate. Again, this is just my opinion, anyone can run whatever they want. :)

dumping it on the ground will also present the problem of having to have some serious chassis notching and tubbing done. more work and more money.

if you have the cash id do it, theres nothing cooler.

Latest posts