Best method of lowering a 71 with disc brakes

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GOM68

Reaction score
Hello,

I have decided I need to get the ride height of the van down by a few inches. I do not want anything stupid that will kill the ride quality, however I would like to have the option of dialling it in to get the right level.

What options do I have, I want to keep the existing early bay disc brake set up and want to keep the cost to a minimum.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

If you're going to lower the suspension height you will compromise ride quality.
The best way will be dropped spindles which will retain your disc brakes and give you about 2-2.5" drop. You might get away with stock tyres and minimal rubbing at this height.

Cheers guys, I have looked at the dropped spindles and cannot find any that will run my 71 disc set up. Am I missing something?

From memory I think it may be cheaper to get ‘72 spindles and new calipers than buying the ‘71 spindles 🤷🏽‍♂️
Can’t quite remember if that is correct or if I have made that up 😂😂

Cheers guys really appreciate the input. Have also been looking at the Red9 Design EZ Rider setup.... Any thoughts about that setup? The van only does about 1500 miles a year.

I have been running my 71 on the Red9 EZ set up for the last 3 years and it's as sweet as a nut... I read all the posts about them and all "the wheels will fall off comments" and for the first year I clenched the cheeks of my arse each time I hit a bump but the wheels stayed on, now I don't give it a seconds' thought... I also like the ride at the height, there is less of that boat feeling in corners, if you know what I mean.... I also put Red9 plates on the back.

They have sold a lot of these units, so I guess if they were pants/failed then they would have gone out of business by now.

Did you cut off your bump stops?

Yep, but only enough to afford a bit of travel...
There have been a load made and sold and I got to know Simon well after I had fitted mine, he had ran the set up on his for years before he started to sell them. Never had a glitch with mine is all I can say and am happy all-round with the look and ride: yes, a big bump, like some of those shockers on the M5 do jar your nerves and teeth... but all has been fine.

I’m running transporterhaus spindles on my 71.

They give a 3.5” drop but I did have to upgrade to Gaz shocks too.

Does no one use adjusters any more? Mine is dropped on adjusters on the front, the ride is fine with GR2 shocks fitted. Too bouncy on standard shocks. I have the one year discs too and obviously no problems and standard track width. I am also running with 15" 6J T4 steel wheels without any problems. Just a another option to consider.

@trinketpimp, Did you put drop-spindles on as well? The reason I ask is my '68 has the Red9 kit on (Spax Krypton Gas) without dropped spindles and the ride is fairly bad, I've raised it by 15mm and dialled the shocks to their softest setting - it was 8/28 clicks in. I'm going to raise it all the way up and see if that makes it any better.

fallingoffalot said:
@trinketpimp, Did you put drop-spindles on as well? The reason I ask is my '68 has the Red9 kit on (Spax Krypton Gas) without dropped spindles and the ride is fairly bad, I've raised it by 15mm and dialled the shocks to their softest setting - it was 8/28 clicks in. I'm going to raise it all the way up and see if that makes it any better.

Update to the above after visiting M&J VW Restorers in Gloucester, I am having my Spax coil-overs removed and returning back to the stock setup - still lowered though with adjusters.

Fallingoffalot, no is the answer, I kept that bit stock... am only just past Tewkesbury if you want to come over and poke a stick at it.....

Latest posts