Best way to lower my 71 camper

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cutters

Reaction score
I am thinking of lowering my camper and would be grateful for any advice on whats the best to buy and where i can buy it from any help appreciated :?

I'm gonna get flamed for this, but don't bother, they don't ride as well, you can't go as many places as ground clearance becomes an issue. Dare to be different, stay stock.

let the air outta the tyres........ :wink:

or get and adjustable front beam or weld in adjusters

rear, turn it 1-2 splines

8)

no one can report on that red9 setup? i would love to try it when i'm done with the welding :twisted:

But id make sure the chassis and front beam were up to the job first.

Thanks for the replies I appreciate them I am hoping that the front beam would be adjustable lower for shows and stuff and stock for camping or are am I being unrealistic I except their will be work involved each time I alter it :?:

Cutters said:
Thanks for the replies I appreciate them I am hoping that the front beam would be adjustable lower for shows and stuff and stock for camping or are am I being unrealistic I except their will be work involved each time I alter it :?:

Im not sure you need an expert every time you want to adjust it? the adjuster is on a single nutt, but the shocks might be a problem...

plus your tracking would be all over the place, also the back isnt a ten minute job to change up n down.
id go moderately low and then you have the best of both worlds :wink:

How low are you hoping to go?
I have just welded adjusters into my beam, had a red 9 kit fitted but it was too low for what I use the van for. If you are only dropping it a couple of inches (as in 2) then the stock shocks will be ok with weld in adjusters (or a ready made lowered beam from creative or cool air) assuming they are in good condition & you will be able to retain your anti-roll bar.
Red 9 kit is easy to fit and gives a good ride, or you could buy dropped spindles which will give you ~3inch drop and maintain your existing suspension travel etc on the front.

how far can you go on standard rims without tubbing the arches out?

and how many splines on the back to lower it 3 inches?

8) If i was you I would lower around 2 maybe 3inches at front and 1 spline at rear it will handle a lot better you can also use stock shockes and still go most places. Vw speed shop has a offer on weld in adjusters at the mo £60 not bad price.http://www.vwspeedshop.com/store/product.php?productid=16705&cat=444&page=1 :lol: 8)

Hi, i got a u.s beam with adjusters welded in from Bluebird for £300,
the beam came with a bit of sand on it from the u.s but a day cleaning and painting and it look sweet( if i may say so myself :D )
Good luck with what ever way you go.

How much are you willing to pay?

Simple drop - Adjusters & Spline?

Air bags? (any height you want - anytime)

Hydraulics?

say money isnt an issue, and dropped spindles and the spring plates from red 9 (so theres no ride difference) how much?

And if you just go down a few splines? wont the ride suffer? from standard? thats why i was think R9 3" spring plates (£135 for a pair).

i was looking for 3" dropped spindles, is there anywhere in the UK sell them?

Wagenwest only seem to do 2½ dropped for busses on the front.

so i guess dropped spindles only go to 2½ inches?

best place to buy them for a 71 bus?

Latest posts