Bleeding brakes

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alice71

Reaction score
Need help I have renewed the discs pads and calipers on the front and new drums and shoes fitted on the rear. I have also put a new master cylinder on and took off the compensator valve split it and cleaned it. All new brake pipes and flexi pipes fitted new dot 4 brake fluid bleed the system but just can't seem to get a brake pedal. I do get a brake when I pump the pedal twice could anyone help. What's the best way to tighten up the rear brake shoes and what's the best sequence to bleed them as I have a bleed nipple on the compensator valve. Do you do the valve first then start from the furthest wheel from the header tank.

Start at the rear furthest away from master cylinder.are u using an easy bleeder?
I wouldn't go near the compensator only as a last resort.

you do need to have the drum breaks properly adjusted before attempting to bleed. Too much play in the brake shoes will cause too much pedal
travel however much or little air is in the system...

slow-lane-Matt said:
you do need to have the drum breaks properly adjusted before attempting to bleed. Too much play in the brake shoes will cause too much pedal
travel however much or little air is in the system...

+1 - I found this out the hard way and wasted a lot of brake fluid...

You also need to pump the pedal (assuming your using an easy bleed) once you have bled it first time to centre the rear shoes.

Latest posts