Bloody electrics!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh,

One of my fuses keeps blowing under the dash, it seems to be connected to the gen light as it keeps coming on when it blows. It did it the other day and I put a new one in and all was fine.

But here's the weird bit...
Been road testing my bus today, trying different carbs jets and the like, when the gen light flicked on again and blew. So I stopped and changed it, then further down the road it did it again, and I noticed the indicators weren't working, so I stopped and fixed it again, but indicators still didn't work. So I carried on the same fuse blew again, and this time I noticed that the gen light only came on when the indicator stalk was activated.

I'm worried it has something to do with the split relay I fitted the other day, but does anyone have any other suggestions as to what to look at?

Cheers,
Ollie

Which fuse keeps blowing? That will tell you which circuit is connected to it and thus where to look for the fault. The gen light is not fused or shouldn't be. If you suspect your split charge relay then disconnect it and try again.

Clarkson46 said:
Which fuse keeps blowing? That will tell you which circuit is connected to it and thus where to look for the fault. The gen light is not fused or shouldn't be. If you suspect your split charge relay then disconnect it and try again.

I think it's 4th from the right, but I'll double check tonight and post up...

Didn't think of disconnecting the relay... Thing is, it's been fine for a couple of weeks, but you're probably right!

Thanks for your reply,
Ollie
8)

If it is the 4th from the left then your symptoms would agree as that fuse feeds your indicators and part of the instrument panel including the gen light and ultimately the alternator and I suspect the split charge relay. 4th from the right feeds your headlamps. My original post was based on thinking from another variant.

Cheers,

Is that the same for North american models? I know the wiring can differ from UK cars.

Thanks again.
8)

4th from the left is the same for us spec, if you look at the wires you should have a green and a slightly thinner black coming from it, the black is the live fed for yur warning lamps, and this then tells the alternator/ dynamo to start charging.. so disconnect the split charge system u put in and take it from there. make sure if you remove any live wires to tape them up, could be you have a wire wrong or the relay is goosed..

Jon..

ps i tend to go for the smart relay now on split charging as it does away with this problem as it senses charging current through the main batt and does not require going into vehicle wiring.

8) 8)

Olson,

Basically the voltage sensing relay as they call it, but have found no problems with it and it is made by Hella, and i get them no problem..you run a double wire from main batt into sensing relay via a 30 amp fuse, and an earth, and then a feed wire to the second batt and that is it.

Jon

58herbie said:
Olson,

Basically the voltage sensing relay as they call it, but have found no problems with it and it is made by Hella, and i get them no problem..you run a double wire from main batt into sensing relay via a 30 amp fuse, and an earth, and then a feed wire to the second batt and that is it.

Jon

Cheers Jon,

Don't suppose you have a link to a diagram of this?
I'm rubbish at picturing technical stuff!

Thanks,
Ollie
8)

here is a link to a simular one ,

just have not found the hella one online yet

http://www.leisure-mart.co.uk/shop/vclose1.asp?prd=52&cat=25003400

jon

Cheers Jon.

Bayview, it gets weirder.

Turns out my indicator/hazard relay was knackered, after trying 2, the third one worked, sort of. Except now only the hazards work.

But the fuses aren't blowing any more even after a 100 mile round trip today.

The guy at Panks reckons there should be a second relay for the indicators, but it looked to me like the indicators and hazards were both running off the same relay. And if there are 2, it's a bit weird they both died at the same time!

Gonna have a look for the mystical second indicator tomorrow...

:?

Olson,

you should only have one relay for the indicators/hazzards they all run from the same one.

the relay should be marked up something along the lines of 2x21w + 4

if it only has 2x 21w then this is why it will only do hazzards or indicactors as there is no hazzard facility..

sounds like your van could do with the dash loom stripped down and sorted..

Jon..

58herbie said:
Olson,

you should only have one relay for the indicators/hazzards they all run from the same one.

the relay should be marked up something along the lines of 2x21w + 4

if it only has 2x 21w then this is why it will only do hazzards or indicactors as there is no hazzard facility..

sounds like your van could do with the dash loom stripped down and sorted..

Jon..

Cheers Jon,

Sounds like the 'experts' at Panks were wrong, again. They sold me the 2x21w relay. Bet they won't correct their mistake for free either.

I'll give them a shout later.

Thanks again,
Ollie
8)

nope,

you can get the correct one from gsf or local auto factors or auto electricians

gsf number is

93576 IND/HAZARD RELAY-12V T2 8/70 > 6.50

if you go to auto factorselectricians tell them you need a 3 pin flasher/ hazzard relay with terminals 31 49 49a if they use durite the part number is 0-744-22 that you want

discription is a 12 volt 2/4 x21 +5 watt hazzard/flasher unit, low profile case without bracket, negative earth only.

Jon

Sorted.

Got Panks to take the old relay back and got a 3 pin unit with earth.

Works a treat now, actually a lot better than it was.

Thanks for all your advice Jon.

8) 8) 8)

Latest posts