Bought a bus from Vintage Bus Import (Lauerent Piani)...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StefansBus

Reaction score
... and wouldn't do it again.

Hi there,

This post is just to confirm what most of you will already know: It's not generally a good idea to buy a bus online that you haven't inspected in person or have had inspected by an expert you trust.

I did. And regret it. Bought a1969 Westy from Laurent Piani of Vintage Bus Import in L.A., California.

The description and the pics looked great.

The reality not so much.

Read my story (with pictures) here: http://stefansbus.de" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers

Stefan

Thank you Skidsurf.

Yep, and that's how he advertised it: "Here is a 8 months complete restoration of a 1969 SO67 walk thru westfalia bay window. This bus is the most complete, clean and detailed bus on the market. Everything has been done."

see: http://www.vintagebusimport.com/complete-restoration-1969-walk-thru-so67-westfalia-bay-window/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes, I did contact him. It's on my website http://stefansbus.de" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

First he said most of the mechanical problems were impossible. I sent pictures. He then said that an ex employee was to blame. When I discovered more an more and it turned out that basically the bus will need close to a full restoration after it has been "restored" by him, I asked him to either take the bus back (I would have paid for the shipping) or give me a significant partial refund. Ultimately he offered a thousand bucks. But I paid 25k and will have to invest at least the same again so turned that "offer" down. Would have accepted 5k as a "settlement". Would have still been painful but it would have helped and been meaningful. Instead he threatened to take me to court if I went public with my story.....

Feel for you :(

Just visited your web site and the bloke who sold you the bus should be shot :evil:

Hope you get it sorted and it doesn't cost as much as the original cost!

You have my utmost sympathy, I got done by a fairly local who damaged my bus to the extent that it would cost more than I can afford to fix. Total respray needed and some panel work. Now when you look at the build thread it does not seem like it , but when you do a close inspection......................

Suffice to say we will never use him again and will rely on this forum if and when.
Hope you get what you want in the end. Good luck.

J & P
:D :D :D

What a nightmare dude. I've been ripped off twice in the past by 'restoration' companies - I'll now only use people who come very very well recommended or myself/mates on my own drive!

Thanks for all the support guys. I appreciate it. I'm gonna get the bus done properly now. The bill's gonna hurt but I it'll be done right. This shop is taking care of it now. They are close to where I live and they have great references. I've visited their shop and checked out their work. Very impressed. Have a look:

http://www.rolltec-engineering.de/VW-Porsche-914-Rot.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://blog.rolltec.info/vw-kafer-1956-ovali-vollrestauration-mit-leistungssteigerung/nggallery/page/1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just looked at the web sites and they do look like they know what they are doing.
Good choice and please keep us updated as the work progresses :D

What a prize prick! i would personally go to court, you have all the correct pictures etc to sue his arse. Either that or book a flight and visit him, worth it i feel! :evil:

Hi guys. Quick update. Of course the bus I bought as "restored" from Laurent Piani at Vintage Bus Import turned out much worse than feared.

However, Rolltec Engineering in Hockenheim Germany are doing a great job at fixing it for me.

file.php

Cheers

Stefan

there are very strict laws in the US ( as you'd expect) governing false advertising, that why so many old/classic not restored end up over here. Top Gear got sued when they gave away their car away, when the did the US episode, because it was the different year to the one they told the guy. that was when they gave the car away. If you really want some money back you may be wise to engage a lawyer in the states. but that will probably cost more than the Bus in the first place

The presenters decided to give away the cars for free to a Christian mission. However, while Clarkson's and Hammond's were given away, James May was declared the loser as he was unable to find any claimants for his car. Immediately after filming for that segment was completed, a lawyer threatened to sue Clarkson for misrepresentation after she heard the car wasn't a 1991 Camaro (it was a 1989 model) but would drop the suit on settlement payment of US$20,000.

@ Davydomes: Thank you. I too think it will be a really nice bus once it's done. Will keep you all updated.

@ RicharAlexander: Thank you for the info. To be honest, I'm not really interested in a potentially very expensive and lengthy legal battle. I'm directing my energy towards making the bus right :)

Nasty mate!,

Gives the honest good resto people a bad name!

And what is it with americans in general and their love of filler!?

Everything seems to be more bondo than metal

Webbaldo said:
Nasty mate!,

Gives the honest good resto people a bad name!

And what is it with americans in general and their love of filler!?

Everything seems to be more bondo than metal
Like mine you mean? :lol: it's nearly half an inch thick in places on the front panel lol

Latest posts