Bowden Tube Bracket Mount Issue

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve B

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Bit of an issue - where the bowden tube bracket fits onto the gearbox casing, the top threaded part of the gearbox bit has snapped off, meaning the bracket is now loose. The bottom bolt is ok.

This means, when I sent off, I tend to get the old shuddering clutch syndrome.

To confirm, the bracket is ok, it's the threaded part of the gearbox casing that is snapped.

It's an original early box.

Anyone else had this problem? I believe welding will be an issue as it's an alloy case.

If it can't be welded, I presume I'm looking at a new box? Although might try some industrial strength resin as a last resort.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Trikky2 said:
It can be welded by a good welder but the box would need to be out the vehicle.

Cheers. Would it be a special alloy weld required though?

Having crawled underneath the van (one big plus having it stock height!) i reckon off a 4-post ramp, it would be accessible to weld in-situ. Or is there another reason it needs to be off? I know it's close to the tank, but this could be covered over??

Many thanks.

Personally I would want it out the bus so that I could prepare the box and the broken piece properly and clamp it correctly before starting to weld since i would want good access to weld right round.

You might find somebody more talented than me who could weld it the way you describe. (Odd problem though. Not seen one break there before).

Trikky2 said:
Personally I would want it out the bus so that I could prepare the box and the broken piece properly and clamp it correctly before starting to weld since i would want good access to weld right round.

You might find somebody more talented than me who could weld it the way you describe. (Odd problem though. Not seen one break there before).

Even more bizarre how it happened.....

Sat in garage, pressed clutch, foot slipped off clutch due to wet trainer, pedal slammed back up. Then pedal was limp.

Thought it was cable, so renewed cable and tube, and all was well. But shuddered when setting off sometimes in 1st. Just thought it was me who hadn't quite got the set-up right.

Upon further inspection, some 12 months later (not used it massively this last year) the break in the casing was noticed.

I'm presuming that if a good enough weld can't be achieved, it'd be a new box?

Cheers.

Steve B said:
Trikky2 said:

Even more bizarre how it happened.....

Sat in garage, pressed clutch, foot slipped off clutch due to wet trainer, pedal slammed back up. Then pedal was limp.

Thought it was cable, so renewed cable and tube, and all was well. But shuddered when setting off sometimes in 1st. Just thought it was me who hadn't quite got the set-up right.

Upon further inspection, some 12 months later (not used it massively this last year) the break in the casing was noticed.

I'm presuming that if a good enough weld can't be achieved, it'd be a new box?

Cheers.

Well it might be possible to weld an extension bracket onto the clutch cable bracket that picks up onto another mointing point. Its unconventional but it could work. Its the kind of outback repair that would get you out of trouble when in a fix. All it has to do is support the cable so it doesent move in relation the the gearbox. On the other hand, second hand stock 1600 gearboxes are still relativly cheap and plentiful.

Latest posts