Brake servo fecked???

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billybradshaw

Reaction score
Afternoon folks.

Here's a quick question for y'.

I've just removed my master cylinder and servo from my '71 bay. You can imagine my surprise when a load of fluid poured out of it :shock: :shock: :shock:

Anyhow, I'm guessing it's the master cylinder that's goosed and has spewed it's contents into the servo over a period of time. So I guess my question is, is the servo likely to have been damaged by the fluid??? If so, can anybody recommend a reconditioners???

Cheers folks

Ian

I made a note of this company from a previous thread...it ain't going to be a cheap
fix if it has to be rebuilt :cry:
http://www.jlspares.com/index.htm
I'm sure one of the Cornishmen (speedwell or clarkson maybe ) found someone
cheaper

Harlequin said:
I'm sure one of the Cornishmen (speedwell or clarkson maybe ) found someone
cheaper

Thanks for the accolade :mrgreen: but no such luck.

However, for what this is worth. Some years ago my Mk1 GTi emptied it's master cylinder via the servo and into the inlet manifold, most of Truro City centre disappeared in a cloud of smoke. The servo survived the experience and a new master cylinder got it running again.

Thanks for the replies fellas

I ain't too familiar with what is actually inside a servo unit. Is there anything in there that's likely to be damaged by the brake fluid? I read on the net last night that after a master cylinder has spewed its guts it's not too uncommon to have to empty a servo, wash it out with cold water and then spray inside with a silicon lube.....

I checked out that company today Harlequin, you're right about it not being cheap, all but 200 quid!!!!! :shock:

I'm pretty sure the servo was working OK before I took it off the road early last year. I think I'll refit it after some TLC and see how it goes. I'll let y' know

Cheers

Ian

Latest posts